State of BVS

General BVS related area
aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:42 am

Perhaps this is the wrong place to mention this, but what the heck.

The BVS had many problems when I was a member and being treated by the members and the committee as a slave to the magazine was my reason for leaving. No help and politics up the wall and down the other side.

I would like to point out that I did as much work as I could to try and help the BVS towards a more modern society and in fact did this all for free. Kate and I (My partner) hosted the BVS website for nearly 18 months on our own commercial webserver, which we paid for out of our own pockets. I also spent significant money of my own on my computer to make sure that it was up to the spec I needed to produce the first few Plugged In magazines. You'd be surprised at how many hours of work it took to produce one magazine. (I'd guess about 80 hours per month) This of course, in addition to my personal life and more importantly, the day job.

Why did I join the BVS? Well, back in 2003 I helped found a local Bristol based EV group - non subscription, no membership. Just friendly EV enthusiasts meeting in a pub once a month. Our first meeting was such a success that John Lilly heard about it (he turned up) and suggested that the group, then known as BEVOB, took on the role of the BVS south-west regional group. We did.

Now that I'm no-longer involved in the cesspool of politics that is the BVS (or was at the point I left - I can't speak for it now) I stepped down as local contact.

However, all the local enthusiasts asked if I would be willing to still help organise and run the local BEVOB meets. As we started as an independent group we decided in November to split again and now meet once a month in Bristol. Perhpaps that's where the BVS needs to go.

All of the fun of electric vehicles is back, and the meetings are more fun then they were when we spent half the time discussing policy, politics and committee meetings.

If you're ever down in the Bristol way, please come along. IN general
we meet on the first Friday of every month...

And now I'll disappear the way I came :)
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:03 am

aminorjourney wrote:However, all the local enthusiasts asked if I would be willing to still help organise and run the local BEVOB meets. As we started as an independent group we decided in November to split again and now meet once a month in Bristol. Perhpaps that's where the BVS needs to go.

You may have noticed that Terry H is running a Southern area meet this Friday :wink:
TBH the BVS just needs to get on and be a club for people with battery powered vehicles or want to learn about them, and not a place for folks who want to beat a drum about this and that :roll:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “General”