FINISHED!

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Yeah you'll get it sorted but I do know how frustrating it is I've been there myself before getting my very first kit car registered, more years ago than I care to mention. There you are with your lovely new toy keen to be on the highway with it where it belongs and poxy paperwork spoils it all. Patience wins though and you'll have a grin from ear to ear when you've got that little disc in the window and whats really good is it will be FREE ! :D

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:38 am

So it's not just DVLA Brighton that suffers from depleted brain cells and lack of common sense... :twisted:

When it came to registering my mini-el, frustration got to me and I stopped being nice. I just badgered them with letters - a mixture of letters of complaint and letters supporting my vehicle.

I got there in the end, but what a "jobsworth" nightmare.
London to Brighton on a Sinclair C5 - 6/5/07 - what a trip !
Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 petrol for everyday abuse - thank God for LPG
Sinclair C5's (Plus "c5alive.co.uk" ) as a hobby

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:22 am

Well, hopefully its all sorted. Now, insurance, that open a whole new can of worms!

In the end I went with Peter Best, as suggested by Booboo - they even remembered you as owning one of the Gibbs' cars, the lady I spoke to dealt with your insurance.

I got a 5,000 miles policy (which is a bit optimistic i know, but its the lowest they could go), FC, 0 NCB cos its a second car, London address, garaged, used for commuting, all for £281. Which is not bad at all, really. Adrian Flux and Footman James which came in at around £500.

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:52 am

Passed its MOT this morning with flying colours!

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 pm

Great! One more final test to go and you're away :D

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:24 pm

It got through the inspection, no problems! All they wanted to really see was the car and a 'Certificate of Conversion' which I had made, waited for a while and they gave me a nice new tax disk for FREE :D

Now done 20 proud EV miles and the power was just dropping off. I never realised I was such an inefficient driver, and that where I live is so hilly!

I knew one battery had had it before I drove, it wouldn't take much charge before, and it was letting the rest of the pack down. All the others were within 0.1v, but this was about 0.6v down. Changed the rogue battery tonight so will see how it goes tomorrow. The voltage was really sagging under load, but i don't know what is normal.

Got up to 50mph :twisted: with current set to minimum.

If 20 miles turns out to be the max range, I'll be a very happy chap as I was expecting about that, anymore would be a bonus.

:D

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Nice one Christopher

Only just caught up on this one.

Nice tidy conversion there 8) Cant wait to see it in real life 8)

Why did you call ANYONE about changing the taxation class :?
When I did my Fiesta I just returned the my reg document changing the taxation class from petrol to electric, 3 weeks later the reg doc was returned to me with the change, then I did the MOT and then the Insurance and finally picked up my free tax disk from the post office.

Why are people phoning up the DVLA and VOSA just to change the fuel taxation class theres no need for it (well I never did), your just asking for trouble if you ask me.

ChrisB

EDITJust seen your post on the other thread saying you did fill it in and post it off and they bounced it back to you :cry: you even said you had a covering letter :shock: I did non of that, just filled in the reg doc and threw it back to them, made up the engine number as it now had 2 x lynch motors in it so from memory said it was LYNCH2 :lol: :roll: and as I said it just came back all changed :? , as you say looks like it depends who opens the letter, perhaps it was the covering letter that blew your cover where as mine didnt have one.???
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Fantastic!!!!!!

fancy writing it all up for the mag now ?

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Yeah, no problem, I'll do write up, when is the deadline?

Hit 57mph tonight in 4th with the new battery - has loads more power. Ran out of road, though, so I guess it'll do 60 - 65 mph in 4th. Its eerily quiet.

Max Current is still set to minimum of 275 Amps and will remain so, absolutely no need for more!

Acceleration is more than enough to go with the flow of traffic. Stop start driving in 2nd (max speed of 28mph), and more open road in 3rd (max is about 42mph).

I am sooooo chuffed!

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:17 pm

Excellent thread and nice tidy looking conversion.

The VOSA and DVLA problems are just one of the things I am worrying about in doing a conversion. Good that you sorted it out. I guess when I get a doner car I will try to get one with MOT and Tax on it before I start work and then do one change at a time to keep it simple.

Return to “Conversions”