Charger flap question

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Teslas fag packet

Charger flap question

Postby Teslas fag packet » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:17 pm

Does it matter if you connect the avcon and close the flap but don't turn on the power? and can you turn off the mains before you open the flap and remove the AVCON.

I think it says in the manual you must open the flap to disconnect the mains Why is this, is it to prevent BMS confusion, PASS

I'm thinking economy 7 and a timer you see

Ta,
Tes
Yorkshire isn't just a place, it's a state of mind!

http://www.minievolution.com/

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Mine works fine if you plug in the berlingo / Avcon and then turn on at the mains when you need to.

No bad results yet!!

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:19 pm

Cant say I've had any issues doing any of the above and quite often insert one before the other, not complete full charges etc etc

Nothing seems to bother it :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:07 am

I charge mine on the Eco 7 tariff via a timer with the Avcon pre connected with flap closed. No problem.

I think it would be kinder on the switching, if you are finishing the charge prematurely, to open the flap first - as I think this shuts down the charging so when you switch off, the switch is breaking virtually no current.

John

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:56 pm

Actually I am quite rough with my charging.

Starting: My Avcon is permanently powered and I just plug it in to start.

Stopping: I just pop the flap and unplugg without turning the mains off after charging had finished.

This probably needs checking, but it appears that it does not take current until the flap is closed.

I only ever had one problem early on when I stopped the charging before it was finished. Then the BMS light came on all the time the ignition was on until I completed a full charge. It drove ok with the light on until it had the full charge.

I am interested in the same thing as I might be working with a local guy who has some large PVs that is willing for me to buy leccy from him at the going rate during the midday period.

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:43 pm

My understanding is what John said-Rob, you are actually following best practice, not rough at all.

I can see this using an energy meter in the socket. On startup, it does a dignostic for about 30 seconds before drawing lots of amps.

If you have to unplug it while it's still charging, open the flap first to unload the connectors. I would be wary of using a timer switch to STOP charging- leave the selected time segment longer than 8 hours, and stop it manually as required. I'm not sure the timer switch contacts would last too long if switched while passing 13A.

There will be no problem STARTING the charge with a time switch.
Tim Crumpton

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:16 pm

What you are doing is fine Rob. Popping the flap stops the charge so there is minimal current (probably zero) flowing when you actually unplug the Avcon.

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:43 pm

OK - thanks

Teslas fag packet

Postby Teslas fag packet » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:35 pm

Aaaaahhhh ok thanks you lot, So opening the flap stops the charge if it hasn't stopped already and have the timer run past the end of the charge period.

Great thanks

Also bought a new filing cabinet today and used my van as a van for the first time good eh

Man and machine 8)
Yorkshire isn't just a place, it's a state of mind!

http://www.minievolution.com/

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:26 am

Yep cant see any probs with what we are all doing, and I think (not 100% sure) but popping the flap or even closing the flap this just signals the controller to drop out of charging mode or even start charging so even if its running at full chat the actual switching is done electronically in side the controller.

I've never had the electronics light come on if I havent done a full charge Rob and I quite often top mine up all over the place sometimes only manage to bung 10% or 20% in which is enough to finish off a run.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”