Pugeot Scootelec

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
wattson

Pugeot Scootelec

Postby wattson » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi all,
I'm going to part with one or two of my Peugeot Scootelecs but before I try to sell in the UK I need to check the laws. Here in France the Scootelec is a 50 cc equivalent so requires a helmet, but is old enough to escape registration. I have read in some sales stuff that in the UK electric bikes are exempt registration etc although I have all the papers for this. Can somebody please enlighten me?
Many thanks,
Wattson

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:29 am

I wish the law was as liberal in the UK as it is in France. Here we're limited to 200 watts and 15 mph. I'm fairly certain that anything above that has to be registered as a moped or motorcycle. You should be able to find more information on the DVLA website.

wattson

Postby wattson » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:51 am

Hi Malcolm,
Thanks for your reply. I'll take a look at the DVLA site but if it is as informative as it was when I was looking to import an electric Clio I will be none the wiser!
Many thanks for your reply.
Wattson

cedric.lynch

Postby cedric.lynch » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:03 pm

wattson wrote:Hi Malcolm,
Thanks for your reply. I'll take a look at the DVLA site but if it is as informative as it was when I was looking to import an electric Clio I will be none the wiser!
Many thanks for your reply.
Wattson

The Peugeot Scootelec is legally a moped in the UK. It has to be registered, insured and licensed (the licence is free) and needs an MoT certificate if it is more than three years old. The driver needs a licence for a moped, for which the minimum age is 16. A motorcycle licence covers this and so does a car licence if the driver passed the test before a certain date; I think the position with a car licence gets more complicated if it was issued recently.
If the scooter is to French market specification it is possible that the headlight would have to be replaced by a left-dipping one and the speedometer altered to read in miles per hour in order to register it in Britain.

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:34 am

Oooh - would love to buy one of those, what are its' vital stats and how much is it going for? (I'm particularly concerned about weight and top speed as I have to get it in a lift)
34 Watt Hours per mile, or > 700 MPG. What, me, smug?

wattson

Scootelec

Postby wattson » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:11 pm

Thank you Cedric, both those bits should be easy to change. Most helpful!

wattson

Scootelec

Postby wattson » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi BNWade, re the stats, weight 280kg top speed limited to 44.7kmh, which depending on the size of the lift should mean that you can slow down enough to turn round before you reach your floor!
The asking price is 850 euros collected. I ive in the Dordogne, though!

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Awww.... not possible then.
34 Watt Hours per mile, or > 700 MPG. What, me, smug?

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”