Electrosol lead acid batteries

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
mjoinson

Electrosol lead acid batteries

Postby mjoinson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Anyone have any experience of electrosol batteries? I'm looking for 10 batteries of around 70ah and I'm a bit tight on weight. Their battery is only 16kg & £79 and it has a 5 year guarantee and a claimed life of 1000 cycles. What's the catch? :? They claim to be suitable for electric vehicles, but not necessarily ones of the speed of Electro-Trabi! :evil:

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:00 pm

mmmmmmmm

TBH I'd be a little warey of their claims :wink:

See below
http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... .php?t=498

From my own experiance I would say they are similar to any leisure battery used in a EV and most excelent for leisure use but ask them for more in a EV and your on a sticky wicket.

I think theres better and cheaper out there, look on E-bay for some ex UPS batts :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:34 am

I had some prior to Li-Ion I thought they were cr*p. Reached end of useful life in only a few thousand miles.

I have heard people using them for EV uses find guarantee is also worthless.

They are not as wonderful as claimed.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:18 am

Hi Martin,

I'd be very wary of ANY battery costing so little for such high claims. I've used Elecsol in the past and HATED them.

From what I remember from our conversations you're looking for power and top speed rather than range, right?

In which case, I'd talk to Mr. Paul Compton (EVguru) about Optima YellowTops. They can give you high power for quite a large percentage of the charge SOC but won't give you exceptional range.

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

Peter Eggleston

Postby Peter Eggleston » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:18 pm

I had a set of 10 Elecsol 220 s (the 50kg ones) on my truck and they were complete rubbish and a waste of money. They hardley lasted 6 months and the 5 year warranty does not cover for ev use.
I strongley recommend lead gel back up batteries. I have had a set of these fitted for 4 years now and they are still going strong.
Don't make the mistake I made.
Peter

Return to “All things battery related”