VERY disturbing petition.

General BVS related area
aminorjourney

VERY disturbing petition.

Postby aminorjourney » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:45 pm

Well folks, it had to come at one point or another.

It seems there's a (very small) campaign to get EVs and HVs taxed at a higher rate than currently. An end to our free tax! :shock:

It makes me really angry when these kind of petitions come up as very often they're written with no solid scientific data to back them up. :evil:

Anyway - here's one petition you probably DON'T want to sign!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/electrictax/#detail
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:58 pm

Weird isnt it - still thats what comes of free speech and lunacy.

there are other petitions too that discredit the whole idea of No 10 Petitions - they all get ignored anyway - but checkout the two that do support EV's.

Mine even asks for compensation for us passionate EVers to help offset the cost of maintaining these planet saving vehicles

LOL

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:32 pm

Thankfully most of the dafter ones get rejected:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Jeremy-Clarkson/

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to appoint Jeremy Clarkson to the Cabinet as special advisor on transport."

Peter Eggleston

Bio diesel

Postby Peter Eggleston » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:23 pm

If anyone saw the item on ITV news last night about destroying the rain forests in Indonesia to produce bio diesel, they will realise that bio diesel is not the panacea that many would have us believe.
Peter

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:44 pm

It's going to happen and what's more we're going to have to pay per mile. They are allready putting in camreas which read your registration numbers at many many road junctions. It's basically a Fait acomplis and we're living in a Big Brother Society.

Joe publice is frequently fed propoganda such that a new tax is given an easy ride. You see the oil companies actually run the world and with a government getting an 80% kick back on the fuel they too will do anything to ensure they maintain this income. Hydrogen is being promoted as the saviour currently. Ask yourself why? Well because it's the oil companies who have the infrastructure in place to supply it. Basically it's an expensive dangerous fuel which requires much the same handling as Petrol plus of course the car manufacturer's don't have to spend much to adapt their vehicles to run on it. Won't upset the Status Quo and it takes oodles of fuel to produce it in the first place. But let Joe Publice believe it only produces water as a waste product and hey presto it'll get voted in.

We can generate our own electricity in all kinds of ways and the powers that be can not have us not needing them. No they need to kep us under the thumb.

Right I best get off my soap box now :wink:

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:39 am

If I can just borrow that soapbox qdos...

Agree with you completely on hydrogen being a red herring.

The next big thing the oil and coal conglomerates will be pushing is Carbon Capture and Storage. The idea is that we separate all the carbon dioxide from power plants then pump it underground or under the seabed and hope it will stay there forever. It's another ploy to buy time so they can burn more fossil fuel. It'll require massive investment that would be much better spent on alternative energy and efficiency improvements.

Next?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:27 am

MalcolmB, throw the box over :lol: ..................

1) That petition site in my view has never been about petitions and judging by some that get raised they where totally laughable, it does look like someone now has a handle on the site and is chucking off the really stupid ones, I'm still of the opinion that its a handy way of .gov to get your e-mail address has anyone bothered to read their privicy statement mmmmmmm. Nice use of my tax money ...................NOT :evil:

2) I've personally always been of the opinion that we should be keeping ourselves (EV'ers) under the radar, whilst I commend what others do shouting about how wonderful EV's are and how cheap they are to run and they will save our planet etc etc, the more we encourage people the more we will get noticed and once we get to a critical level the tax man will come'th and so we shoot ourselves in the foot, well for cheap transport :cry:
I recon that if you asked 100 people why they would want to drive an EV, 90 or more of them would say to save money, with a very small amount saying they want to save the planet sadly. I'm afraid I love my EV cos its cheap to run and is different from everyone else's motor, the planet saving bit is fairly low down on the list of why I drive it :oops:

3) As for fuel alternatives they REALLY have to look at alternatives and actually pretty quick, it gets REALLY scarey if you put "peak oil" into google, it seems we have about 30 years or so left at current comsumption rates, then look at how fast our consumption rate is rising worldwide and its pretty obviouse that we are going to run in to BIG problems in what might be less than 20years time :shock: be afraid........BE VERY AFRAID

Anyone else want the box :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:07 am

I see it differently to you Chris. I may be in a minority, but for me it's not about saving money or saving the planet (although both would be nice). Most of all I like building things ("I tinker therefore I am", as Jean Paul said).

But the other big attraction is being able to escape from the clutches of the big oil boys and a car industry whose mantra seems to be "bigger is better" . It's an independence thing – it's worth a lot to me knowing that I could stick a windmill in the garden and some solar panels on the roof and never pay another penny to the big corporations.

I reckon it's inevitable that EVs will be taxed as well, as the number on the road grows, otherwise road revenues will fall. In fact if a large proportion of them are plug-ins the government will be looking for ways to increase revenues from them to compensate for losses on fuel duty.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:48 pm

Thats fine Malcolm, and what you are doing is highly commendable, I know there are others who look at the planet saving bit as well, I would myself if it wasnt for it being so expensive :oops: perhaps thats the wrong way of looking at it, but I have a limited amount of resources and a lot of the kit is in my opinion very expensive when it need not be and there are companies out there making vast somes of profit out of the whole green thing :cry:

Dont get me wrong, I do "try" to do my bit when it comes to the green thing but I WONT pay through the nose for it and line someone elses pocket.

I'd love a solar install and wind turbine install and both get government grants but both require you to use their "reconised" installers which is fine but it means the grant is totally wiped out compared to doing it yourself so it makes the whole thing farsical and hence why its a limited thing.
Same thing happened regarding getting grants for vehicle gas conversions, to get the grant there where so many restrictions put on it that it didnt make it worth while :cry: I must admit that there are now people who are doing retro fit kits now for more reasonable sums of money but now the tax is increasing on the gas its making it not as tastey.
See its down to money again, suppose thats it, maybe its because I havent got enough of the stuff :roll: :D
May its the wrong way to look at it :oops:
I must say that in no way do I represent the opinion of the BVS with ANY of my statements above, they are all my own opinions rightly or wrongly :) .

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “General”