on board generator

A place to discuss the mini Mitsubishi and its clones
essar

on board generator

Postby essar » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:52 am

I freely admit I have nil scientific knowledge but am cautious by nature: so here goes with stupid question of the day.
What would happen if I plugged in a Peugeot Ion charger onto a 2kw Petrol generator AC supply-- would it blow the works ?

Grumpy-b

Re: on board generator

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Not a good idea.
1. Most generators dont deliver the stated output in a continuous usage.
2. You must use a high quality waveform, ie an Inverter generator. Poor waveform of cheap gennys has a lot of variation in voltage and a lot of spikes. I have had chargers of customers vehicles destroyed by doing this.
3. 2000w is just over 8 amps, most simple mains leads charge at 10 amps.

In conclusion, you should not consider doing this unless you have a generator with a significantly greater power output than you need (to deal with start up loads), it must have a clean waveform, ie na Inverter or large (as in huge site) generator.

DOnt expect repairs to your damaged charger to be cheap after you have tried it and failed.

essar

Postby essar » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:22 pm

thanks for the warning ,I suspected that it would not be that simple, and have not tried it .
It is irritating however that there seems to be no simple solution to on board emergency generation.
I suppose there is no mileage in the carrying of spare capacity batteries with some sort of "throw over" switch ?
I bet that's already been tried as well.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:32 pm

80+ cells and around 300v its not an option to mess with.

Return to “i-MiEV, iOn, C-zero”