Message for Grumpy and Co Blingo short range

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
chatwindows

Message for Grumpy and Co Blingo short range

Postby chatwindows » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Hello again boys.
I am still in the poo. I have fitted a replacement unit to the back pack. Then Evan repaired my controller. Then I still got the light on at 65%. Checked values again and discovered another failed unit in the back pack. This was replaced and still I cannot get more than 20 miles and the light on at 60%. I checked all the pack values and they show now as follows. (averages via division) checked with light just coming on.
Back pack 6.3 volts
Front lower 6.2 volts
Front upper 6.3 volts
Middle pack 6.077 volts
Do you guys think I have a unit down in the middle pack or could it be the controller at fault. If so, what do I do. Evan refuses to answer e-mails nowadays, so one assumes he has lost interest. Any advice as usual will be welcome.
All the very best to you all. Chatwindows, John.

highend

Re: Message for Grumpy and Co Blingo short range

Postby highend » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:16 pm

I think 1 or 2 cells in middle pack need replacing.... :(

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:25 pm

I believe Evan is in China at the moment.

I think you have more cell problems in the middle pack. Have you maint charged and watered since putting the cells in? If you have cells that have been unused for a while then do the watering before, as well as after the Maint charge. If the water is very low you wont get a decent charge into the cells. If you do a normal maint charge then water the capacity wont be restored until you do the subsequent charge, if any of the plates are exposed before the watering is carried out.

I will find and place a spreadsheet I did to hep diagnose cell problems in each pack. But not tonight.

Grumpy-b

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:04 am

Thanks boys.
I was afraid it would be the middle pack. I believe it is something to do with sods law that almost always when you have a problem, it will always be the most difficult course to cure it. I just hate brake fluid! I have done two maintenance and waterings since replacing the rear cells so it would appear that the middle pack is not coming up to full voltage. Does it matter if I have the wrong cells in relation to post positions, which I will not know until removal. Can I make short straps to get over this problem if needed?
Thanks for the help and advice.
chatwindows,

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:11 am

I have used the wrong handed cells, I think I have some photos somewhere. Its a bit fiddly, but I use spare straps cut and bolted to join them up. The Blingo straps are copper. The watering tubes are a pain though.

Grumpy-b

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:59 am

D'you know? I hadn't even thought about the watering tubes. Good job I asked. Do I need to stock up with rubber pipe and if so, any idea what size? I have a Morgan Three Wheeler Club AGM to go to this weekend, otherwise I would do the job then. I'm hoping for a one day assault, even allowing for the dreaded brakes. I still hate brake fluid.
thanks.
chatwindows.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:25 pm

I use the rubber hose on the cells and extend with nylon tube, and also use other pipes from my big bag of blingo battery bits. They need to do some tight bends.
It can help to shift the cells around so that you end up with the odd cells on the end and make the connections work best for you.
Grumpy-b

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:25 pm

You are a star thank you Grumpy. I don't suppose you can remeber what the nylon tube size needs to be do you. I guess about 3/8" or thereabouts.
Thanks again, John.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:I will find and place a spreadsheet I did to hep diagnose cell problems in each pack. But not tonight.

Grumpy-b

I think it was this one

ChrisB
Attachments
voltages.xls
Voltage spread sheet made by Grumpy
(17 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

chatwindows

Re: Message for Grumpy Highend and Co Blingo short range

Postby chatwindows » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Hello boys and thanks Grumps for the spreadsheet.
By coincidence I have just got out of the bath having spent the day under the van. I removed the middle pack after running down to 50% and the light on. 9 cells read 6.27 volts. 1 read 6.1 and the other read 5.1 As I had two I changed both of them. One was the correct hand and the other one needed a couple of short leads and some plastic pipe. I bought some door fixing rawlplugs from the DIY and they are exactly the right sized tube. On re-assembly the van moved and the warning light was out. I'll see what a nights charge and a test run tomorrow brings.
Now then, listen very carefully, I shall say this only wence!
As you are aware I have always suffered with my heater. It always lights up and gets warm, then it switches off and thats that for a while. I listened one day and discovered that the electric pump was getting very noisy, then when hot it would stop. I bought a replacement off e-Bay, (£35) they fit Rover Discoveries, BMWs etc as engine heaters. I had to change the bottom piece to get the pipes running the right way, 4 screws, and put it back together. (with some jointing) I bled the system, switch on and blow into the header tank until the bubbles stop. Tried it and 'viola' the van now gets hot and will stay hot all journey. I think the pump failing was causing the heater to overheat and cut out. Worth knowing about.
Thanks again and I'll report in after test flight tomorrow. chatwindows.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”