Aixam Mega Multitruck - in need of new batteries...

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
Greg

Aixam Mega Multitruck - in need of new batteries...

Postby Greg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:17 pm

Greetings everyone, im newbie and i just bought my first pure electric vehiclev- used Aixam Mega Multitruck (dreaming about Smart Electric - but is too xpansive :-( ). Ive been told by the seller, that Batteries died during last winter when he forgot to charge them. Now i need to buy a new battery pack. Original were some Exide from Champion, but he replaced them against those:

http://www.gel-batterien-agm-batterien. ... ex.php?a=2

He used them for almost 2 years until "killed" them last winter. Should i buy the same ones? Or are there any reasonable/better alternatives?

Maybe a very stupid question (dont forget im newbie to EV :-) ) - Coz Im working in Workshop repairing Smart Cars we have there quite a lot of older but still usable Normal PB 12V Car batteries ranging from 40Ah to 60Ah - is there any way I can even try to use them in my EV (ofc Im awaiting ultra low milage comparing to AGM batteries), but just for testing if ym EV is working at all? Or shouldnt i try cauze i can damage the charger or some other electronic in my EV? :shock:

Thanks in advance for any help, tips...

"Greg" from Czech Republic

Grumpy-b

Re: Aixam Mega Multitruck - in need of new batteries...

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:04 am

Normal 12v lead acid batteries as used for 12v in cars are not designed to be charged and discharged. They are meant to act as a short term buffer for high loads and be constantly topped up by the alternator. They cannot deliver high current for long periods. Deep cycle cells can cope with being charged and discharged. But most cant cope with the high current load that an EV has. I would suggest that you need a much higher capacity battery of at least 200ah for your needs, but check ot what Aixam/ mega suggest. Its not just about range, so dont think I only need to travel 25km so a smaller capacity will be OK, its also about how much current can be passed , and the larger AH will cope with a higher discharge.

Grumpy-b

skooler

Postby skooler » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Do you have a budget for this?

Have you considered lithium?

Cheers,

Mike
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

Greg

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:26 am

skooler:

Well, i dont have a clue how much will the Lithium cost me ...

If i buy 8 batteries from the link below ill get around 1300€ - if there is a cheaper or more expansive alternative (that will last longer - more charging cycles) i will consider it. If someone has any source of suitable batteries - give an example or link...

Grumpy-b:

Thx for answer, can i at least try to use those 12v car batteries to test the car (if motor, electronic ...) is working properly? Or is there any danger that i will burn / damage something?

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:50 am

Just testing isnt going to do any damage, ayt least you will know what else doesnt work , just dont put anything under a real load.

Grumpy-b

Greg

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Means i can remove the old "dead" batteries, install the used standart 12v car batteries in exact positions of those old ones and try start the car, maybe if succesfull drive a few meters - right?

Return to “All things battery related”