My new project

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
charlesb

Re: My new project

Postby charlesb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Thought this might be of use to someone, when I was looking for info on programming the Sevcon Gen4 I found all the software and manuals here http://www.heinzmann.com/en/electric-an ... ontrollers
Also I found that the IXXAT canbus pci cards are easier to find at good prices, I picked one up for $100 and the drivers are included in the Sevcon software package. Not as portable as the usb dongles, but fine for in the workshop.

I've probably put this in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

Charles

charlesb

Postby charlesb » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Starting to put it all back together after painting. I always find nice new paint shows up anything not in decent condition, so end up replacing nuts, bolts etc, and will have to tidy the wheels some time.
Attachments
bike281212.jpg
bike281212.jpg (97.94 KiB) Viewed 35061 times

ex925

Postby ex925 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:37 pm

looking good

charlesb

Postby charlesb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:37 pm

Plodding along slowly, though with this weather not in any rush. Well I decided that as an incentive to figure out Sevcon programming, I would swap over from the Kelly unit before I get it MOT'd. I was quite surprised at the weight of the heatsink, I thought aluminium was light! Probably a bit of overkill considering the power rating of the unit.
I'm happy with the basic motor config. John at Motoenergy gave me most of the electrical specs. I've just measured the back emf constant Ke by running the motor up with an electric drill, and it calculated as 0.022.
So should be ready to give it a run soon. Everybody I chat to says it's pretty well impossible to do any harm to the controller, as it has so many fail safes, we will see!
I still can't find any good info for setting up the regen, but not important for the moment.
Attachments
Bike Sevcon.jpg
Bike Sevcon.jpg (106.39 KiB) Viewed 35046 times

ex925

Postby ex925 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Quality work. Looking forward to the next phase.
In these road conditions, (+0.5 to +6 degrees C, inc. a 1/2 mile 10-15% uphill), I roughly estimate my 64 Turnigys lose maybe 10% of their range over the spring and autumn distances
All the best
Ed

charlesb

Postby charlesb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Ed
I'm surprised it's that much. Do the batteries generate much heat with normal use? Are you starting with batteries at room/garage temperature.
It's been a super day today, but temperature dropping rapidly now, so the morning should be pretty dangerous.
I do find wiring very therapeutic, especially the thick stuff. I've run out of thin, so waiting for Vehicle Wiring Products to deliver so I can get on with the control wiring.

Regards
Charles
Attachments
bike sevcon wiring.jpg
bike sevcon wiring.jpg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 35044 times

ex925

Postby ex925 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:13 pm

starting from + 2.5 degrees C AAT on the driveway, 5.8 degrees C surface of battery-pack box, 7pm that evening. hope it's not a loss of overall battery performance...
cheers
ed

charlesb

Postby charlesb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:44 am

Well it's taken me a week, going gradually nuts, but finally got the Sevcon controller to play ball. I still haven't figured out regen braking yet, but that's not a problem. I haven't had it out for a ride yet, but the motor is so much quieter. It makes a nice gentle hum as it starts, rather than the loud clicking noise the Kelly unit made.
Better get on with tidying the control wiring up now I know it works.

ex925

Postby ex925 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:21 pm

The Kelly I used on the Fiat Cinquecento EV would not start on any less than 5% "startup-throttle" (set using my laptop)
5% gave a sharp click and a slight jerk on moving off, no matter how gently I increased the pedal pressure from nil
Looking forward to hearing how it runs on the road
All the best
Ed

charlesb

Postby charlesb » Sat May 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Well finally got round to MOTing and getting her on the road. I've now got to go to the DVLA and get my new tax disc swapped for a proper free electric one. They did mention that they may want a letter from the garage that fitted the engine, so that would be me then!
Anyway, I managed 40 miles so far and still had about 20% left, so should hit my 50 mile range target. I'm still setting up the neutral brake regen on the Gen4 controller, quite fiddly to get just the right amount of braking so that it feels like normal engine braking.
Only problem now is the weather is so poor!
Attachments
Bike1.jpg
Bike1.jpg (89.03 KiB) Viewed 35015 times

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”