Charging Points - comments please

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ChrisB

Re: Charging Points - comments please

Postby ChrisB » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Beemer wrote:C'mon Chris! The mains supply to the posts and the wires feeding them are not 325 Watts. The overall bill is still paid for by the taxpayer at any level of supply....

Afraid not, there only rated to about 5amps about 1000w, why put in a bigger supply for a 50w Sont lamp :? the 10mtr columns with 250w lamps have a 10amp supply in them, still not big enough to start hanging sockets off them for vehicle charging @ +3Kw and you've still got the problem of it being an un-metered supply, its nothing to do with whose paying its down to the Electrical Supply Authority who issue the licenses for un-metered supplies (not councils or Tax payers) and they aint going to allow vehicle charging off them I'm afraid.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:44 pm

I've only worked on Council estate lamp posts in the (dim and distant) past and the cables were no more then 2.5mm armoured on a radial with 5 amp fuses in each post before the cable dropped to 1.0mm T+E to the lantern.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Yep that sounds like a private supply set up, i.e the incomer is owned by the council, very similar except when the incomer is supply authority owned its concentric cable which is used rather than SWA, but similar ratings apply.

(they tend to do the outgoing now in flex rather than T&E)

ChrisB

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:43 pm

So this lighting supply is separate from the power cables.. As in separate tunnels?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Beemer wrote:So this lighting supply is separate from the power cables.. As in separate tunnels?

Nope, its jointed into the same mains that the houses are fed from, just on a LOT thinner cables.

Actually not always strictly true, some streetlighting is on whats known as fith core which is totally seperately fed and switched from a substation, although these are very few and far between I think these days.

ChrisB

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:44 am

That's where I was coming from. Tapping the mains supply not necessarily the lighting wiring. Admittedly might need to dig a hole.

Anyway, it's all cloud cuckooland in council town. A home owner would have no problems fitting an outdoor socket for a few £'s..........

Still cannot see why Wigan council need £100,000 for every EV socket.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Beemer wrote:Still cannot see why Wigan council need £100,000 for every EV socket.

Must admit that sort of figure does seem rather far fetched and I wonder how much "media interpretation" has been applied to the figure :wink:

ChrisB

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:08 am

ChrisB wrote:
Beemer wrote:Still cannot see why Wigan council need £100,000 for every EV socket.

Must admit that sort of figure does seem rather far fetched and I wonder how much "media interpretation" has been applied to the figure :wink:

ChrisB

Wigan highways dept. are a strange lot. They constantly cry about our grams CO2/mile whilst the lights battle us at every junction. They have always wanted zero traffic in town. Yet they have made no measures to ensure bypass traffic via non-built up arterial routes into/out of and around town. They have started a few times then stopped as soon as they spent some grant money. Then we find the part built road becomes surrounded with trading boxes or flats.
Idiots!

I'm not sure the £4M/402 sockets was "media interpretation". The number of points and the Grant request was made. The Wigan paper constantly plays the state/council tune. The offending article is here:
http://www.wigantoday.net/news/eco_car_ ... _1_1704807

Another dream scheme:
http://www.wigantoday.net/news/town_set ... n_1_200407

Wigan Taxis:
http://www.wigantoday.net/news/taxi_dri ... _1_3279646
n.b.
These people obtain an old car from the auctions with 12 months MOT. Run it to the ground in a year, get another. Cheap, not serviced. Can be bashed about with little consequence which matches their driving style. Barely Nissan Leaf people.

To date, there are two charging points, a twin gang socket on the top of the Grand Arcades pay to park. No council help.... It's in, done.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Beemer wrote:[I'm not sure the £4M/402 sockets was "media interpretation". The number of points and the Grant request was made. The Wigan paper constantly plays the state/council tune. The offending article is here:
http://www.wigantoday.net/news/eco_car_ ... _1_1704807

mmmm it doesnt really give much detail, trouble is loads of money gets chewed up in research and so called consultations and other such stuff :roll:

This is Charge Master jumping on the band waggon http://chargemasterplc.com/chargemaster ... g-network/

4000 bays by the end of 2012 :? could be interesting, although personally I think its a big ask

The whole Plugged in Places project that was being run by the Gov to my knowledge has been "trimmed down" considerabley.

ChrisB

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Yes, indeedy Chris, if there is a chance to make money. People will do power point presentations and convince a few to spend the money of the many. A complete no-brainer. Any "research" will have already been done by an existing workforce. all the need to do is tap the mains from a hole and stick the plug on a pole.

Charge points fitted will be in pay parks. Never truly free. That I can assure you unless the "grass roots" provide strong competition but not so strong as to make them unavailable by third parties.

Return to “All things battery related”