Think I've overfilled my VRLAs

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ChrisB

Re: Think I've overfilled my VRLAs

Postby ChrisB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:26 am

Pretty sure its 1.5kw from memory but I could be wrong :?
Its the EVT4000e
ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:58 am

2KW according to greencarsite
34 Watt Hours per mile, or > 700 MPG. What, me, smug?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Thought I might be wrong :lol:

ChrisB

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 pm

ChrisB wrote:I dont think Ping does big enough BMS's for his batteries, and the batteries may not be up to the discharge currents, I wondered about a set for my one, but as it can draw 120ish amps this puts it outside anything Ping currently does so have been "trying" to learn about the other options out there, but I'm not doing very well with it currently :oops:

These have caught my eye recently, Headway 16ah cells. They are cylindrical cells with screw terminals and they also have stackable cell holders for them as well. Just add bms and charger and you should have a really nice pack. Never done business with these people, any one know anything about them?
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

hohisilver

Postby hohisilver » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm building my pack from the 38140S variant on that, ordered from Evassemble. I understand Evassemble don't have a great reputation in the BMS stakes, but 50off cells cost me just over £700 including shipping - they would have cost over £925 from those people! Still, at least I now know where to get connecting plates and plastic building blocks if they don't send me enough (as with one other person I know of) :)
Ian.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 pm

GregsGarage wrote:
ChrisB wrote:I dont think Ping does big enough BMS's for his batteries, and the batteries may not be up to the discharge currents, I wondered about a set for my one, but as it can draw 120ish amps this puts it outside anything Ping currently does so have been "trying" to learn about the other options out there, but I'm not doing very well with it currently :oops:

These have caught my eye recently, Headway 16ah cells. They are cylindrical cells with screw terminals and they also have stackable cell holders for them as well. Just add bms and charger and you should have a really nice pack. Never done business with these people, any one know anything about them?

Well I must admit they looked promising, that was until I actually tried to find out who they are, theres zero contact details, not a telephone number, e-mail, or even snail mail address, all your offered is a webform to fill in, dosnt fill me personally with confidence, if they are really as good as they say they are why hide behind a website with just a webform to comunicate with your clients :?

ChrisB

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:14 am

I bought a batch of Headway cells direct from Headway and found them fine to deal with. The only slight issue was having to pay by bank transfer, but that went well. Delivery was quick, too.

I think if I was looking to replace the lead acid batteries for a relatively high power application like this, then I'd use RC LiPo packs. These have nice high discharge rates and are pretty cheap, light and small. The only downside is the need to charge them carefully using several RC type chargers with balance ports, which is a bit of a pain. If you want an idea of pack prices though, take a look at the cheap Turnigy 20C packs on the HK site. Even a 5Ah pack will deliver 100A quite happily. I'm running my folding bike on four 5S, 5Ah packs, wired to give me about 37-38V at 10Ah and the whole pack is around the size of a single 12Ah 12V lead acid, but only weighs a couple of kg.

Jeremy

Return to “All things battery related”