Remote Display Board Version 1

Threads relating to the BMS system begun by Peter Perkins

Moderators: GregsGarage, retepsnikrep

retepsnikrep

Remote Display Board Version 1

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:59 am

This a placeholder, info will be added asap. At the moment info on this is in the three old threads.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

steiner

Re: Remote Display Board Version 1

Postby steiner » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:03 am

Peter,

I am in the process of getting my remote display working. I decided I should probably get it working with the picaxe chips before I re-write the code for a standard pic. I found a picaxe 08m that I had taken out of the watchdog location.

I am running version 0.18 of the remote display software and a modified version of 1.70 of the master software since I am still using the version 1.0 master board. However, the TxdData portion has not been modified from what you originally wrote.

I have connected the transmitter 5 volts and ground using pins 1 and 3 from the "Dashboard LCD output". I have jumpered the 5 volts from pin 1 also to pin 1 of the "Drive inhibit output". Pin 2 is then connected to "data in" on the transmitter. I have connected a .1uF cap across the 5v and gnd of the transmitter and a 1K resistor across the gnd and data in.

When I apply power to the master board, the D7 LED flashes about once per second which I think is implying it is sending data to the transmitter.

When I apply power to the receiver, I can see the 2x16 LCD light up but it doesn't display anything.

I know you are busy writing the master code for a standard pic but if you could give me a few ideas for troubleshooting this setup it would be very helpful. I don't know if I have a transmitter issue or a receiver or both.

Thanks....
Rick

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:19 am

Rick Please post the actual code you are using so i can look at it, it may differ from my versions.

You need a scope on the little RXD board output pins to see if it is actually getting anything from the transmitter.

If you have the Txd and Rxd to close together it may not work. I suggest 5m minimum seperation.

Does the reciever sound the audible alarm indicating there is no signal? Have you confirmed that bit works? Does the led on the reciever pcb flash?

Are you using the exact same make/model 433 mhz boards that i used?
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.

steiner

Postby steiner » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Peter,

Here is the transmitter code:

Code: Select all

TxdData:               ;Sends 18 bytes of data to remote display and/or PC Logger
                  ;Txd sends 5 byte preamble to lock with Rxd, then qualifier "bms"
                  ;followed by 9 bytes of data

peek Temp1Data, b2         ;Read Front Pack Temp from Temp1Data Ram Byte (Note 0-100C Max)
   peek Temp2Data, b3         ;Read Rear  Pack Temp from Temp2Data Ram Byte (Note 0-100C Max)
   peek VoltsData, b4         ;Read PackVoltage from VoltsData Ram Byte (Note 0-255V Max)
   peek SocData,   b5         ;Read Soc from SocData Ram Byte (Note 0-100%)
   peek ErrCell,   b6         ;Read Cell with Error from ErrCell Ram Byte
   peek AmpSign,   b7         ;Read AmpSign (+ or -) from AmpSign Ram Byte
   peek AmpData,   b8         ;Read AmpData from AmpData Ram Byte   
'   peek WhStore,   b9             ;Read Wh/Mile Data from WhStore EEprom Byte   

serout DriveInhibit, BaudN2400, (0x55, 0x55, 0x55, 0x55, 0x55)       ;Txd 5 byte preamble to clear Rxd
   pause 10            ;Pause for 5ms to allow serial rxd to clear
   serout DriveInhibit, BaudN2400, ("bms",b0,b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8)   ;Txd data (2400 baud at 8mhz)

return               ;Return to main program

This is the receiver code:

Code: Select all

#picaxe 08M         ;Set editor to Picaxe 08M Mode

`Variables Constants and I/O definitions

`Variables

`Variables 8bit (Byte)      ;Note some Word variables converted to byte variables by Master
            ;for transmission to remote display to save variables

symbol AlarmByte    =   b0    ;Alarm Type Byte (0-255 number of different Alarms)
symbol AlarmCount   =   b1    ;Alarm Counter Byte (0-255 number of times an Alarm has occured) 
symbol Temp1     =   b2   ;Temp1 Sensor LM335 (0-100C)
symbol Temp2      =   b3   ;Temp2 Sensor LM335 (0-100C)
symbol PackVoltage  =   b4    ;Pack Voltage (0-255V)
symbol Soc          =   b5    ;Pack Soc (0-100%) Rounded down to nearest %
symbol ErrCell      =   b6    ;Number of the Cell with any Error condition
symbol AmpSign      =   b7    ;Amp Sign (+ or -)
symbol AmpData      =   b8    ;Amp Data to nearest Amp (-100 to +100A)
symbol WhMile       =   b9    ;Wh/Mile Data (0-255 wh/mile)

`AlarmByte (b0)    Additional Information (255 possible Alarms) 0 = No Alarms

`If AlarmByte = 0 then (No Alarms Set)
`If AlarmByte = 1 then (Cell over AbsMax V)
`If AlarmByte = 2 then (Cell under AbsMin V)
`If AlarmByte = 3 then (Cell data serial transfer timeout error)
`If AlarmByte = 4 then (Battery Pack over AbsMax Temp)
`If AlarmByte = 5 then (Alarm Test Condition) Used to simulate Alarms

`Constants

symbol Delay       = 50      ;Pause for 50ms at 4mhz
symbol AlarmActivate = 3   ;Number of times Alarm must occur before Alarm activates

`Pins used for I/O and designations

`*** Digital high/low Outputs ***

symbol Txd           = 0   ;Serial 4800 baud out to PC via prog cable on Output 0
symbol Led         = 1   ;Data OK Led on Output 1
symbol Lcd         = 4   ;Serial 2400 baud out to 16x2 Lcd on Output 4

`*** Digital high/low Inputs ***

symbol Rxd         = 3   ;Serial 2400 baud in from Master via 433mhz link on Input 3

`*******************************************************************************
`*******************************************************************************

sertxd(13)            ;Send a lone CR to ensure PLX-DAQ buffer is ready

Start:               ;Program Start

high led            ;Turn off data Led (Sink driven)

serin Rxd,N2400,("bms"),b0,b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8   ;Receive data via 433mhz link from Master

'   sertxd("DATA,TIME",",",#b0,",",#b1,",",#b2,",",#b3,",",#b4,",",#b5,",",#b6,",",#b7,",",#b8,",",#b9,",",13) ;Txd to PC

if AlarmCount >= AlarmActivate and AlarmByte > 0 then DisplayAlarms ;If  gosub Alarms Display

low led               ;Turn on data Led (Sink driven)

serout Lcd,N2400,(254,128,#PackVoltage,"V ",#Soc,"% ",b7,#b8,"A  ")   ;Transmit data to Lcd
'   serout Lcd,N2400,(254,192,#Temp1,"C ",#Temp2,"C ",#b9,"wh/m  ")      ;Transmit data to Lcd   

goto Start            ;Goto program start   

DisplayAlarms:               ;255 different possible Alarms!)

serout Lcd,N2400,(254,1)       ;Transmit data to Lcd
   serout Lcd,N2400,(254,128,"Alarm ",#b0," Cell ",#b6,254,192," * Check BMS! * ")   ;Transmit data to Lcd

if b0 = 6 then          ;If Alarm = 6 (End Charge) then
   pause 5000            ;pause for 5 seconds to allow audible alarm to sound   
   low led            ;Turn on data Led (Sink driven) Silence audible Alarm
   endif

I will need to try them farther apart. They were within about 1M when I tried them. The audible alarm is sounding off and the LED is not flashing. Yes, I am using the same transmitter and receiver that you used.

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Can't see anything obvious you need to scope the output from the rxd chip/board to see if it getting anything. I'm snowed under so don't envisage any work on this by me for several weeks.
Regards Peter

steiner

Postby steiner » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:39 am

I verified all of the ground and 5 volt connections to the receiver and they all check good. I put a scope on pin 14 (data out) and didn't get anything. What is the purpose of D2 and what does it mean "required for pin 3 use"?

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:54 am

D2 is used to facilitate serial reception on pin 3 of the pic which is different to the others. The picaxe notes reccomend it.

If there is no signal comming out of the rxd device on pin 14 then either it is faulty or the txd is faulty.

Try disconnecting pin 14 from the pic/diode and scope it directly. If the rf link is working you should see some data/signal.
Regards Peter

hohisilver

Postby hohisilver » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:29 pm

After a bit of pain sorting out a way to get round the apparent unreliability of the serial LCD I bought, I now have a (mostly) working Remote Display :)

However, I'm a little confused by the piezo sounder circuit - the only time I got any noise out of it was when I had a very rapid loop that happened to be switching it on and off at a very high frequency. Adjusting the 100k pot doesn't seem to make any difference?

As you can tell, I don't actually understand how it's supposed to work :roll:
Ian.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:44 am

I assujme you have the schematic basically RV1 adjusts the time it takes to charge up C4 slowly, when Q1 reaches it's turn on voltage the sounder starts.

The software toggles pin 6 on the pic, when it is low C4 discharges through the pic, so if there are suffcient low cycles C4 voltage is kept below the Q1 turn on point.

If data stops comming in Pin 6 stays high and as C4 can't discharge piezo goes off after a few seconds.
So your software should have pin 6 high when no data is being recd, and toggle low when valid data is recd.

If you get an alarm message over the link then your software can simply pause with Pin6 high for a few seconds and piezo will start. I think that's what i did.
Regards Peter

hohisilver

Postby hohisilver » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks Peter - after I'd posted that last night I did some more testing and found that when no data is received for a while the buzzer makes a weird rising whine, and that explains why :)

I'm actually sending quite a lot of data because I want to monitor most of the parameters while it's charging but there do seem to be pauses where the buzzer starts to sound, presumably because of noise causing the qualifier not to be received for a while. So all I need to do now is find a way to stop that so that it only sounds if there's an alarm or charging has finished :)
Ian.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

Return to “BMS thread”