Blingos in cold weather

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Cogito

Postby Cogito » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 pm

I can only confirm that I haven`t heard of SAFT modules freezing in practice here in Scandinavia. In theory it is possible. Temperatures of minus 40 have been reported this year.
Modules kan lose up to a litre of water before the water fill lamp comes on so the eletrolyte is much more concentrated than in newly topped up modules. Not a good reason for waiting for a service though.

Most owners are experiencing drastically reduced range in this weather and some experience incomplete charging cycles when plugged in over night.
Interesting about the possibility of water freezing in the hydraulic circuits. Integrity of the hoses can be ascertained by pressure testing at the overflow. The filling nipple should be sealed.

boelle

Postby boelle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 am

hmm... just throwing in a crazy idea.... since the car is plugged in... could it be possible to add some kind of heater to the curcuit and set the temp to 20 degress ?
Help me build a big local network: http://gogetfunding.com/project/big-local-network
Best Pizza In Town: www.pizzaløg.dk

EVan

Postby EVan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:39 am

Yes. Swiss users have done that.

chatwindows

Berlingos in cold weather.

Postby chatwindows » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:30 am

You are so right Chris. I went for a ride in one of these new Indy electric cars the other day. Insurance meant that I could only drive it on the airfield. You know what? It's miles behind the Blingo. Much more sluggish & funnily enough, much noisier. The brakes were abysmal after the Blingo power set up. Range; 40-50 miles. Speed 60mph. Charging time 8 hours. So! Whats new. Have to admit the interior was plushier than the Blingo though. As a vehicle though, in my opinion, not as good. That's progress folks. chatwindows.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:42 pm

I have worked out a set up for my Multispace, that will bypass the radiator but will keep the coolant flowing, so this should ensure even cell temeratures but reduce the heat loss that passing through the rad causes.
Its been a pain to plumb in but a lot of that is due to re-locating the Radiator to the NS of the van rather than the centre. The plastic hoses can be easily joined using a light 5/8 bore rubber hose,with a short length of 15mm copper tube slipped into the plastic to stop it being crushed. Control is by a simple Thermostat with its thermistor attached to a section of 15mm copper pipe in the coolant circuit.
Ive now got another valve (these are Jaguar X type heater valves) and I will be doing this to my in use Van.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:29 am

Grumpy-b wrote:I have worked out a set up for my Multispace, that will bypass the radiator but will keep the coolant flowing, so this should ensure even cell temeratures but reduce the heat loss that passing through the rad causes.
Its been a pain to plumb in but a lot of that is due to re-locating the Radiator to the NS of the van rather than the centre. The plastic hoses can be easily joined using a light 5/8 bore rubber hose,with a short length of 15mm copper tube slipped into the plastic to stop it being crushed. Control is by a simple Thermostat with its thermistor attached to a section of 15mm copper pipe in the coolant circuit.
Ive now got another valve (these are Jaguar X type heater valves) and I will be doing this to my in use Van.

Grumpy-b

Interesting Grumps, any chance of a how-to thread with some pics ??

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Teslas fag packet

Postby Teslas fag packet » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:50 am

Hang on RE the testing of the water top up plubing, the service info shows a small hand pump pushed into the overflow / brether pipes if the plubing is ok a very slight pressure can be achieved (too much would blow pipes off)

perhaps a balloon could be used if it deflates your pipes are knackard
Yorkshire isn't just a place, it's a state of mind!

http://www.minievolution.com/

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am

What service info are you reading, Tesla? I haven't seen anything like that.
Tim Crumpton

EVan

Postby EVan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:14 pm

It's mentioned in the Saxo service manual. And also the Saft battery manual I think.

boelle

Postby boelle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:49 am

EVan wrote:It's mentioned in the Saxo service manual.

Just a thought... is it at all possible to get hold of english written workshop manuals for the saxo?
Help me build a big local network: http://gogetfunding.com/project/big-local-network
Best Pizza In Town: www.pizzaløg.dk

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”