DVLA nightmare!

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
electricmini

DVLA nightmare!

Postby electricmini » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Well, I've just found out some potentially scary info:

Yesterday I went to my local DVLA office to chase up the "fuel-type" change on the Supra from petrol to electric, and they eventually told me I'd have to ring a number in DVLA Swansea.

According to the lady at DVLA who I phoned just now, there's a "freeze" on processing all conversions to electric. Something to do with lots of people fraudulently claiming they've converted their vehicle to get a free tax disc?
There's no way of knowing when they'll "unfreeze" it...

And I got the distinct impression I wasn't supposed to even have that phone number - those naughty boys at the local office shouldn't have given it out..

So even though Swansea have had my reg doc for over 2 months, with lots of supporting photos etc., I've no idea when they'll even resume processing the change to electric.

All this on a car which I've owned for 4 years now, and have been gradually collecting parts for 2 years+,

GRRRRRRR! :evil:

Anyone know if there are some major changes "in the works" to do
with EVs here in the UK? Why does it have to be so damned difficult?

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Congratulations!

You've just discovered the most unhelpful public service body in government, bar, perhaps the CAA.............

I found that getting the paperwork sorted was a complete nightmare. The local DVLA office was fantastic, the chap even coming around to my house (free of charge) to do the checks needed.

The problem is Swansea, a bigger bunch of unhelpful incompetents would be hard to find. They deliberately make it near-impossible to contact them, as one of their many ploys to wear you down in the hope that you'll give up and go away, so they can get back on with drinking tea, or whatever other way they pass their time (at our expense).

When they allowed this stuff to be handled by the local DVLA offices it worked very well, in my experience. They now won't even give you a direct line contact 'phone number for your local office, for fear that you might be able to contact someone who's helpful. I was lucky, the chap in the local office (unofficially) gave me his personal mobile number, as he knew of the Swansea problem and wanted to help me get things sorted. Even then, it took the issue of four registration documents until they got the details close to right. The engine number is still wrong, but I can't be arsed to try and correct it, as they are bound to mess up one or more of the other details..........

Jeremy

electricmini

Postby electricmini » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the words of encouragement! :lol:

I guess I'll be seeing my local DVLA office a lot... just as well they're only 1 mile from my house....

If it'll just stop raining, I might be able to do a bit more on the Supe
(still have the high-current wiring to do, and battery warmers)
Still, at least we've escaped the snow here....

ChrisB

Re: DVLA nightmare!

Postby ChrisB » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:22 pm

electricmini wrote:So even though Swansea have had my reg doc for over 2 months, with lots of supporting photos etc., I've no idea when they'll even resume processing the change to electric.

:shock: theres got to be some sort of legal challenge we can make on this ....... isnt there :?

Surely having someones documents for over two months and then not to even bother to contact them to say things are frozen is ..............well just not right.

Have we not got a legal bod amoungst us who can give us the legal situation on something like this :?

Looking at the DVLA website all they seem to be interested in telling us about is all the "Free" cars they keep giving away to people :evil: ya

I recon to start with following their complaints proceedure here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/if ... wrong.aspx

Start it NOW as its going to take a while to get the wheels in motion (excuse the pun) if you dont it will only delay the issues further, two months with no answers isnt good enough ONE LITTLE BIT :evil:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi guys

My experience was similar, I'm sure I posted a few rants on here about it!!!

It does seem that you have a nice chap to help you in the local office. The only way I could get my conversion signed off was to trailer it to my local office for an inspection AFTER I had it MOT'd and insured. They gave me my free tax disc there and then, and they sent the V5 off to Swansea for me.

I also had to create a 'Certificate of Change' document, a copy of which I am happy to e-mail to you if you PM me your e-mail address. (I copied an LPG document)

One thing I found though, was that it pays to remain calm, even if you get told 7 different stories by 7 different people!!!

Best regards

Christopher
http://www.evalbum.com/3030
EVT 4000e Electic 'Vespa'

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:47 pm

geekygrilli wrote:One thing I found though, was that it pays to remain calm, even if you get told 7 different stories by 7 different people!!!

Good advice Christopher, 99% of the time its not the fault of the actual people but the system :cry: :roll:

As you say keep your cool, although I'd still start a complaint procedure....... calmly :wink:

ChrisB

electricmini

Postby electricmini » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:00 am

Hi Chris

geekygrilli wrote:The only way I could get my conversion signed off was to trailer it to my local office for an inspection AFTER I had it MOT'd and insured. They gave me my free tax disc there and then, and they sent the V5 off to Swansea for me.

How'd you get it MOT'd if the reg doc still said petrol as the fuel?
Wouldn't the MOT station's computer insist on an emissions test?

(I can see myself having to bolt a section of pipe on the back as
a nominal "exhaust pipe", he he :lol: )

geekygrilli wrote:I also had to create a 'Certificate of Change' document, a copy of which I am happy to e-mail to you if you PM me your e-mail address. (I copied an LPG document)

That might be quite handy, thanks! I'll send you a PM

Looks like I was lucky when I did the Mini pickup - Swansea wanted it inspected but my local office couldn't be bothered - they just gave me my free tax disc! No such luck this time 'round...

Richard

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi Richard

I explained the situation fully to the MOT people, who I sort of knew.

They were happy to do the test, and just filled in the emissions bit as zero. They could have sat with the motor running at tick over (0 rpm) and held the probe at the back of the car for good measure, but they didn't!

They did have to sit around for a while, as the MOT is much shorter for an EV cos it doesn't need the emisions testing - I believe they have to be logged on to the MOT database for a set amount of time before they can print a certificate.

Hmmm, maybe EV MOT's should cost less, as they don't take as long! :)

Its good to build up a rapport with a testing station. They know me there now, know what the car is about and want to test drive it!

Hope you got the Certificate fo Change alright?

Christopher

Fiat Cinquecento EV

http://www.evalbum.com/1099

Little Chitty Chitty Bang Bang replica

http://www.evalbum.com/3030

EVT 4000e Electic 'Vespa'

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:30 pm

geekygrilli wrote:Its good to build up a rapport with a testing station. They know me there now, know what the car is about and want to test drive it!

Totally agree, my local MOT guy is always amused to see what I'll bring in next to him :lol: todate the EV has raised the most eyebrows :lol:

ChrisB

booboo

Postby booboo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:18 pm

..taking the mini-el for its MoT also creates a stir with the various mechanics,passersby etc :D

Last time I had a crowd of people come out of the office opposite the MoT garage just to look at the beastie 8)
London to Brighton on a Sinclair C5 - 6/5/07 - what a trip !
Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 petrol for everyday abuse - thank God for LPG
Sinclair C5's (Plus "c5alive.co.uk" ) as a hobby

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”