Electric 2CV

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
Chris King

Electric 2CV

Postby Chris King » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:54 am

Hi

A couple of weeks ago I asked for info on any electric 2CV. Steve Barnes wrote:-

"That'll be my old 2CV then! I built it in 1999 using a LEMCO motor and 96V of lead acid batteries, which gave reasonable performance and 45 miles range. Unfortunately the car has rusted away, and the bits are in the garage! Steve"

Steve - if you are out there I am very interested in how you coupled the electric motor to the gear box. The only details I can find are in Hungary but I was looking for some where a bit closer to London! Can you help please?

Best wishes - Chris(K)

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:05 am

Not sure if you already have a donor vehicle Chris but it strikes me that maybe Steve's dead CV might make an ideal donor particularly as he's done part of the work already too!

Chris King

Postby Chris King » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:14 pm

A very similar thought had crossed my mind - although I have a donor vehicle or to be more correct it is now in collection of bits!

What I need is the 'coupler unit' between the electric motor and the gear box, or to find out where I am able to aquire one from. The only other example I have seen is on a 2CV in Hungary!!!!

Any ideas?

qdos

Postby qdos » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:24 pm

there isn't to my knowledge one off the shelf and you will have to get one made. I know of someone who could probably do it

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi Chris

You could try calling AVT: http://www.everything-ev.com/transmissi ... 65_79.html

I think they may have done a 2CV conversion in the past.

Or you could try sending a PM to Greg Fordyce (forum name GregsGarage).

sbarnes

Postby sbarnes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Fitting the motor was fairly straightforward.

I used a LEMCO motor, and specified a flanged shaft, as opposed to the more usual keywayed shaft. The motor was mounted to the gearbox bellhousing using a 1/4" ali plate suitably mahined. Then I used the splined adaptor removed from the clutch friction plate, and made an adaptor to fit it to the motor.

I really will get my website about the conversion up again, as it has lots of pictures!

Steve

Chris King

Postby Chris King » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks guys.
I am trying to speak to a human on that web contact so will let you know in due course. Steve - if I dont get anywhere - I should like to come back to you to find out where you aquired the bits and pieces for your conversion. I think I understand batteries and electric motors BUT the missing 'jigsaw piece' at the moment is the mechanics of joining the motor to the gear box. Your 2CV conversion seems to be the only one within reasonable distance - unless you have moved to Hungary!

Chris

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi Chris
Got your PM but I have been away, and am still away until Tuesday, but have a look at my web page at the bottom of this post. Follow the elecric car link on the left side of the page.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

Chris King

Postby Chris King » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks for that - I started to read the links and realised that they open to a massive collection of interesting issues on this. Think it will take a couple of weeks to digest!!!!

Thanks also to those who have emailed me as it is interesting to chat to others in similar planning stages and those who have been there and back!

Best wishes - Chris

Return to “All things battery related”