Which cars are best thread.

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
AndyW

Postby AndyW » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:05 am

Half the fun is building the car so you get a great sense of achievement when it all works.

Great idea about the magazine by the way!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:08 am

AndyW wrote:Half the fun is building the car so you get a great sense of achievement when it all works.

Great idea about the magazine by the way!!

Having built a number of cars and put them on the road (first one when I was aged 17/18) I can totally agree with that !!!!!!!! Good to hear I'm not the only nutter :wink:

AndyW

Postby AndyW » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:03 am

Good to hear I'm not the only nutter
he he!! :D

nino500

Postby nino500 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:54 pm

Interesting thread, this.

I've been giving it a bit if thought lately. I'm working on a fiat 126, which weighs in at about 500kg but the suspension's a bit weedy for carrying batteries.

If I didn't already have the fiat, I think a Reliant Fox (sort of Kitten pickup thing) or even a Kitten would be good.

There's a good argument for using a three wheeler as well (if you can take the stick from your mates).

There's that thing about commercials being MOT exempt as well, which saves one headache.

Nino.

AndyW

Postby AndyW » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:09 am

(if you can take the stick from your mates).
Theres one good reason not to!! :D :D :D

I think an afternoon scouring the internet for Gross Weight of vehicles is in order.

A friend of a friend will shortly be building a Porsche 356 Speedster replica kit car which will have the motor bolted to the transaxle and batteries in the front. Nice car to do and it will be light and look amazing.

He's going to use it every day to drive into london (not sure where from) so he does'nt have to pay the congestion charge.

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:24 am

Kits are ideal for EVs there's a few out there and bound to be many more following.

nino500

Postby nino500 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:14 pm

I was just having a look around for kerb weights and I found this site.http://www.carfolio.com/

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:34 am

There's a list of kerb weights here that could be useful too: http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/kerbweights.htm

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:27 am

In my opinion, humble as it is, its difficult to define the best car for conversion as it depends on the individual's requirements.

I am all for using odd ball cars, and being a bit different; I'd love to have a mini pick-up, a westfield or an elise, but the car needs to be used everyday by myself and my wife to go to work and drop the child(ren) off at school etc... So it needs to be the following:

1. Small - no point in being big in London
2. Light - to help with the range
3. 5 door/4 seats (for getting children in and out easily)
4. Relatively safe (airbags and some attention to crash structure, etc...)
5. Modern looking and easy to use/drive (PAS not required, though)
6. Inconspicuous (blend in with the crowd)
7. Cheap donor car/easy to get spares

I think I have found the ideal solution. Weighing in at just 778kg in SE trim, costing around £600 - £900 for a 2000 model, with airbags, central locking, electric windows, 5 doors and 3 NCAP stars its the Daewoo Matiz.

I don't think it’s a completely hideous car to look at. I've not driven one, but I think that’s irrelevant as the engine will be removed and the weight distribution will change completely anyway. When I drove a normal cinquecento I thought it was awful, but I quite like my one now.

Anyone got any opinions on these?

AndyW

Postby AndyW » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:29 am

Matiz!! Good choice!! I love the looks of that car. I remember seeing the concept car at the London motor show and it looked almost identical when it was launched.

The only problem i can see is where to put the batteries.

Return to “Conversions”