Berlingo battery pack modified

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
ioniser10

Berlingo battery pack modified

Postby ioniser10 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:32 pm

I removed the 4 faulty batterys on the berlingo and reinstalled all the other batterys (all about 6.69v per battery).
The van still would run 5 miles but then the low batt light came on due to the lower voltage also you wouldnt be able to charge it without these batteries. The charger would be trying to pump 220v into 23 batts (9.56v per batt) and would overcharge them. They only require 8.14v fully charged. Because saft batterys are as common as 3 legged chikens i bought 2 x 12v 105AH trojan batterys £234 inc vat and installed them under the hood. The charge in the berlingo bulk charges at 15.5A and tapers off around 4A so to make sure i didnt boil them i installed 2 multimeters £5 each on the sun visor (flip down multimeters). I ran the trojans down to 11v and then charged the van up. When the van was faulty it took 1.6kwh With the new trojans it took 9kwh and the voltage across the trojans at full charge only reached 14.9v. I will monitor them for a bit to make sure they are compatable with the saft batts.
The eco light before i changed the batts would come on after about 4 miles and i went 15.4 miles today without charging the van its been stood 2 weeks. Its now fully charged and im going to check the range tomorrow the safts are at 163.2v (7.09v per batt)
trojans at 27.2v (13.6v per batt)
190.4v but they have only been off charge about an hour.
Ill check the voltage tomorrow after they have rested.
After the 15 miles of driving the trojans where still above 11v i did stay in the green zone though.
Ill just put my multimeter on amps and check the batt current at the controller ? OMG OMG OMG HELP only joking ive still got skin.
To be continued...................................................

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:04 am

Fantastic post there, very interesting, I think you may be the first person to carry out such a mod, I will follow this with interest :wink:
Have you got any pics of all the mods to add to your post ??

A picture paints a 1000 words 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”