Berlingo Brake light modification

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
gooroo

Postby gooroo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Mines on a V but not had a chance to check if mine does or not will do as soon as and let you know.

Regards, Simon

sparky

Postby sparky » Fri May 02, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi Ive recently bought a T reg berlingo and my brake lights do not work on Regen, I believe in keeping things simple so I fitted a micro switch adjusted it so it only came on at fully rest, I also fitted a nc relay in circuit actuated by the hand brake switch so if you stuck in traffic you normally put the handbrake on, which would put brake lights out, but they still would come on with footbrake, but I noticed that when I pulled away or when your traveling and take your foot of the throttle slow down a bit put foot back on I felt a small jolt I found out that when the brake lights are on, drive is disconnected, Ive temporally disconnected it for now, the ecu must detect when lights are on maybe if I splice in after the ecu and fit a blocking diode so drive is mentioned on the throttle switch, footbrake would remain the same this might work, has anyone done a successful brake light mod? also does anyone have a wiring diagram? or know where I might get one from.
regards Neil

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat May 03, 2008 4:29 pm

mmmmmmm Thats interesting :shock: So the controller monitors the brake lights as well :shock:

Why do they have to make these things so dam complicated, Currently I dont know of anyone actually doing the mod , I keep meaning to but its on the list of "round tuit" jobs :oops:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Thu May 15, 2008 6:05 pm

They definately monitor the brake light circuit. You try full accelerator with the brake on. Nothing at all. The brake circuit de-activates drive power.

John

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 29, 2008 9:21 pm

Your quite right , tried it today and went no where very fast :lol:

I suppose they did this to stop folks abusing the vans, I remember the days of the bedford CF electric van and when "some" users where given them, they hated the vans as they had to return them to the depot in the afternoon to be recharged, where as other folk who had normal vans could take them home in the evening. I have known these users who hated the CF so much drive them round the corner just out side the depot and try to blow them up by giving them full throttle with the brakes on :shock:
This generally resulted in blown up controllers/batteries/motors :cry: and then they would phone up and say it was rubish and had broken down :evil:
A great shame as the CF was actually a great van, even by todays standards if you could buy a new one today it would still perfom very well.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Tony Dolby

Blingo brake lights

Postby Tony Dolby » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:19 pm

An idea!
I recall having, many years ago, some small mercury switches that worked by tilting. These could be set up on an adjuster as a "G" switch! Delay, if nec. Could be designed in? If still available of course in this world of toxypanic.

Answers please on a (e) postcard,

Cheers Tony.

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Problem is when you go down a hill the mercury goes to one end and makes contact - so brake lights always on when going down a slope.

It needs to be a decelerometer type device - which are available as solid state units. So just got to find someone who is prepared to work up a design for fitting on to the Blingo.

I think I have got into the habit of tapping the brakes to warn anyone folowing that I am slowing down now.

John

Joe T

Postby Joe T » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:38 pm

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Yep that is just the concept we were envisioning - but 100 quid is a lot for an accelerometer.

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:41 pm

I had occasion to replace a bulb in the hi brake light the other day and I thought I would just leave it hanging for a bit and go and drive so I could see the brake light bulbs in the rear view mirror.

What surprised me was the fact that the brake lights DO come on when you lift off the accelerator .

So after all the musing and hypothecating it looks like PSA did include a clever bit in the profgam to bring on the brakes when you are regenning and slowing down.

John

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”