Maybe selling up

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
floydster
Site Staff

Maybe selling up

Postby floydster » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:55 pm

We're maybe selling our Bongo due to lack of use. That leaves us with "my projects" and pushbikes for transport. So......we've been doing some serious EV (not Enfield :( ) chat.

We used to have a diesel Berlingo a few years back but things kept breaking on it, especially suspension bits. Just wondering what the electric equivalent iis like for reliability and usability as a daily run about. The alternative looks like doing something with the Landy

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 pm

Wow I'd love the Bongo 8) Saw one down here this year and fell in love with it, which engine have you got in yours ??

As for the Blingos ........well as I always say they are fantastic vehicles when they are running.....when they are not they are a complete pain and can be a very expensive pain.

Touch wood I've not had any failures on mine as such apart from the batteries which was known about.

I think the really BIG thing with the Blingos is the fact when they are going they just go, very little messing abouts needed, you use it, you plug it in, you use it, you plug it in etc etc. Thats about it, they are very normal looking vehicles so you dont look like your in some kind of noddy wagon/disabled wagon (not that either would worry me but it does worry others) Due to their minium fuss when they are working i.e your not having to worry about battery voltages or charge voltages etc etc it makes for a very pleasent drivable EV.

If you noticed the PSA forum has become a tadge quiet recently, why, well I suspect all our vans are running fairly smoothly 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:48 am

Hi Floydster,

I completely agree with Chris.
One thing I would add is that some specific electric components can take a long time to arrive from the dealer. (electric vacuum pump took about 7 weeks). Luckily it could still be driven, allbeit a bit loudly.

My aim is to repair/replace the old bits and bit of TLC and it will be even better.

I normally use mine for commuting about 10 miles to work and sometimes did a 55 mile trip, although quite slowly to preserve battery capacity.
What's good about a van is that I put my push bike in the back and cycle the last part of the commute.

Regards,
Rob

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:18 pm

ChrisB wrote:Wow I'd love the Bongo 8) Saw one down here this year and fell in love with it, which engine have you got in yours ??ChrisB

It's the 2.5 TD. A bit thirsty but worth it as the van's so well kitted out. We had it professionally converted to our spec and it must be one of the best in the UK, IMHO. I'll be sorry to see it go.

ChrisB wrote:As for the Blingos ........well as I always say they are fantastic vehicles when they are running.....when they are not they are a complete pain and can be a very expensive pain. ChrisB

Hmmmm. Still don't know what to do. Some of the money from the Bongo will be going towards taking us off the grid and whatever's left over may go towards an EV, until then I'm doing a lot more cycling than usual :(

The less expensive solution could be to convert the Landy. Unfortunately it's the most inappropriately named vehicle ever, why on earth did they call it a Lightweight?

arsharpe wrote:I normally use mine for commuting about 10 miles to work and sometimes did a 55 mile trip, although quite slowly to preserve battery capacity.
What's good about a van is that I put my push bike in the back and cycle the last part of the commute.

Regards,
Rob

I'm into cycling too and we have a Vauxhall Combo van as well. It's great to chuck the bike in the back and head off somewhere different. Bike racks look like so much hassle, vans win every time. I can't imagine life without a van any more, hence the questions about the Berlingo.

Floydster

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:07 pm

floydster wrote:
ChrisB wrote:Wow I'd love the Bongo 8) Saw one down here this year and fell in love with it, which engine have you got in yours ??ChrisB

It's the 2.5 TD. A bit thirsty but worth it as the van's so well kitted out. We had it professionally converted to our spec and it must be one of the best in the UK, IMHO. I'll be sorry to see it go.

The van does seem to be really nicely spec'd , shame I'd say I'll have it but I recon it will go for loads of dosh.
floydster wrote:
ChrisB wrote:As for the Blingos ........well as I always say they are fantastic vehicles when they are running.....when they are not they are a complete pain and can be a very expensive pain. ChrisB

Hmmmm. Still don't know what to do. Some of the money from the Bongo will be going towards taking us off the grid and whatever's left over may go towards an EV, until then I'm doing a lot more cycling than usual :(

See the chap thats currenlty having range/battery issues and you can see what I mean, they can be a utter mere

floydster wrote:The less expensive solution could be to convert the Landy. Unfortunately it's the most inappropriately named vehicle ever, why on earth did they call it a Lightweight?

A conversion I doubt will ever be less expensive, I learnt this when I had the Fiesta , its surprising where all the funds go, its all the little things you forget about that adds up , I spent something like £100 on just battery connectors/cable/crimps etc etc, yes if you look at the basics i.e motor controller and batteries then it does look fairly attactive but thats about 1/2 of whats actually needed I recon.
A good thing to do is look for one thats been converted and is now slightly ill or needs a new set of batteries, buy that and then refresh it in your own flavor :wink: all the hard works done for you that way.

Might be you could find a blingo with a duff set of batts and you could start to look into finding out what other batts could fit into it, I've got my other one here that I have for spares and its something I am looking into now.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:47 pm

I'm in a real quandary.

I really can't stand my job but need to stick it out for another 23 months so I have enough dosh to give up the 9-5 (again).

The Bongo's doing nothing other than tempting me to drive to the train station rather than cycle. Selling it will reduce the monthly outgoings as well as boosting the escape fund.

I really want an EV but don't know what to go for. Selling the Bongo will help fund it. Cycling around locally is all very well but some days I just can't be bothered.

I'm OK with a spanner so who knows what'll happen when the Bongo goes.

Floydster

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”