Oil in brush chamber

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
julian295

Oil in brush chamber

Postby julian295 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:01 pm

I've just removed the inspection cover to check my brushes & have found the top side of the over covered in thick oil??? Have not had a chance to check transmission oil yet.

This van has hardly been used at all in the last few years & has only done 20,000 miles. Have just finished rebuilding battery packs with batteries from another van.

Do I need to worry about this oil??

Many thanks
Julian

Grumpy-b

Re: Oil in brush chamber

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Most of the vans I have seen have an oily deposit on the cover, its notactually all oil but an emulsion of oil water and carbon dust. Unless its dripping out I would not worry. The gear box is the other end so only limited oil goes down the shaft to the brush end of the motor.
Clean it out and just keep an eye on it.
If you need brushes PM me.

Grumpy-b

julian295

Postby julian295 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:30 pm

It smells like gear oil, so I think it probably is!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:52 am

Check the oil level the other end of the Motor. Most people jack the van up to take the wheel off to check the oil level, the result is that ist often very over filled. With the Van level take the level bung out and let it drain into a container. Then you know its not over filled.
Otherwise its a strip the motor apart and replace the seals job. Or run it with the oil a bit lower than it should be.

Grumpy-b

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”