Blingo short range.

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
chatwindows

Blingo short range.

Postby chatwindows » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Hello Boys.
Can anyone tell me where the fuses are for the lower front battery pack. I had some cells from Highend and replaced two in the rear pack. Then the controller failed and it went to Evan for a long time to be repaired. Since then my range has been limited to 20 miles or so. Recently it has dropped even further even though Highends cells seem to be fine. (highest average now in rear pack) Recently I lose most of the power within about two miles of the light coming on! I have done a voltage check and all except the front lower pack (which I have not checked) are reading really good. Like others I have had little success in contacting Evan which is a shame for he is so knowledgeable. I on the other hand am stumbling along in the dark trying to harness ic engine training and experience into the electric world. (failing usually!) I fear that the time may arrive when I throw in the towel due to lack of knowledge and support. Here on the Isle of Wight electric vehicles mean 'bikes' for tourists to ride on.
Any help appreciated, Chatwindows.

ChrisB

Re: Blingo short range.

Postby ChrisB » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:55 am

From memory the front lower fuses are at the rear of the pack I think, the pack itself I think is the same as the rear pack, so if you look at that pack and then look under the front of the vehicle you should see the fuse/links in a similar place.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:16 pm

They can be a pain to get to. At the OS back of the pack above the cables and coolant pipes, so do some maths, Measure the pack voltage at the controller, middle set of large cables. Take readings on the front top, rear and centre and subtract. Hey presto you have the lower front.

Grumpy-b

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:13 pm

I knew I could rely upon you guys. Thanks a lot, very much appreciated. I bought myself a motorcycle scissor lift and welded four pieces of angle iron on, then fitted four normal furniture castors on. It works like a dream. Run the vehicle onto the ramps, wind up and after releasing the fixings merely lower and wheel out. From the readings I have had so far, I'm pretty sure that I now have a problem in this front pack. I assume, (and I'm eager for correction if needed) that if I have faulty units in this pack that could cause my short range and voltage loss light to come on at 60%. I really really hope so for I am in love with this daft little vehicle and cannot bear the thought of scrapping it.
All the very best and thanks again. I'll keep you all posted.
chatwindows. John.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:49 pm

I wouldnt be surprised if you've got a holed battery, and its juice has leaked out, once this happens the cell drys out pretty rapidly and they go high resistance.

Similar problem to my rear pack on mine that I had, the rest of the pack appeared fine.

Is there any sign of dampness around the centre drain hole in the pack, if there is any sign of dampness then almost 100% that will be the problem, if theres no sign of dampness then it could be a couple of units have developed internal shorts on them, although I've personally found packs that have had internal shorts on cells are easy to pin down as their voltage drop off very quickly if you leave it off charge for 24hrs and then measure the pack.

Locate the cell/s thats blown and replace and hopefully all will be come good again.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:15 pm

If its blown up they usually take out the top, if they have melted they tend to burn lower down and often weld them selves to the adjacent cell. It has to be bad to take out the water colled side, and you would have had a noticable coolant loss. But it does happen. In a situation like this always remove and visually check all the cells, even if they appear to have an OK voltage at the time. Do some voltage checks. A a minimum test each cell with a load, an old 12v starter is useful and will pull around 40amps watch the cell voltage drop. Log them all to start with, do a loading test see where it goes down to until it slows right down in the rate of drop. Note that voltage. Also leave them for a couple of mins and check and note the voltage again. Do be careful if there is a leakage as its a caustic solution inside.

Grumpy-b

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Many thanks grumpy. All this sort of stuff is so useful when one is trolling about in the dark. I think I told you all, before I had the cells from Highend, that on a routine maintenance watering I had to put an inordinate amount of water in one pack. I thought it was the rear one but subsequent checking (yesterday) reveals it was the front. So I assume that although one cell was down to 3.1 volts in the back pack, the real culprit/culprits may be in the front. Evan told me there are 11 units in the centre pack but I cannot get a voltage to reconcile with this number. My voltage reading for this pack is far too high for this to be the case. I have of course tested from side to side with a long wire. I read well over 7 volts per battery if his numbers are correct. How can this be?
All the best for now. chatwindows, John.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:43 pm

The meter has to go into the rear of the fuse / blocks on the middle battery box, if not you may be picking up voltage from another pack as well/ instead of.
7v is unusual, a well charged good condition can show 6.4V or a bit more.

Grumpy-b

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:37 am

You must be right for I tried again yesterday and blew up my expensive volt meter, (£3.00 off e-bay) I shall try again with renewed knowledge and a better meter. Thanks again chatwindows, John.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:16 pm

I have mislead you, its the front part of the middle fuse blocks, the rear has the cable outlets and the front side is the battery. Sorry for the bad guidance.

Grumpy-b

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”