Charging light

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
chatwindows

Charging light

Postby chatwindows » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:21 pm

Hello Boys and Girls.
I am now moved and set up in the new house in the Isle of Wight. As far as I know my Blingo is the only Electrique on the island. Now then, a problem. I did a maintenance charge and fill last week and noticed that the back battery, second filler from left looking from the front, took much more water than the others, (twice as much actually). Everything fine and just as pleased as normal. No charging light on until down to 20% etc. Last night coming back from the theatre I booted it home to catch the chip shop, (I know!) Anyway, at 50% the yellow charging light came on. Any suggestions guys. I do not relish the thought of removing battery packs here with no ( as yet) local friends, but would welcome any suggestions.
All the best to everyone.
John Chatwin.

Grumpy-b

Re: Charging light

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Ssounds like one or more cells are failing. I have previously posted a simple spreadsheet that helps to isolate where the problem is. I will try and find a link to the thread.
http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... f=6&t=3122
Grumpy-b

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks for that Grumps. I was afraid you would say that. My problem here is that I am on my own, as it were. My limited knowledge of the finer points of the electric/battery system, coupled with lack of facilities is going to present me with some head scratching. I assume that if I hire a pump truck I will be able to lower the rear pack out of the vehicle. Question! How do I establish which cell is faulty. With the current wet weather I cannot see if I have a leak, so a visual check may not be the best way. Is the job best done in a garage or on the yard. I have both, although the Morgan lives in the former. Do you know if Evan still has any new cells left? If not, what then?
Your usual useful comments will be very welcome.
Kindest regards and thanks again. John.

highend

Postby highend » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:10 pm

it means around 3 to 5 cells are dead.
As Grumpy said - please measure three battery packs: upper front, rear and center and use his spreadsheet to determine which pack has weak cells. Quite easy job even in rain (take rubber mat or sth do lay under van on the back and both sides).

Jeremy do you have some cells as you converting to lithium?

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:37 pm

As a simple check, measure each pack as per previous thread. Once you have ascertained which pack has the problems its a question of removing the pack, the rear lower is one of the easier ones. I prefer to do the removal with the cells partly discharged, this shows up the duff cells more readily. Many cells will look fine even when loaded but will fai when they get toabout 50% full. They are the hard ones to locate. Hence easier if you do it partially discharged. With the pack out, you need to take the top off, simple clips around the waistline join, take of the plastic cover then check each cell with a volt meter. They may be obvious immediately as to which have failed. If they sit under 6v they are suspect. If they sit under 5v they have a definite problem. To test you need to load the cells. I simply use a 12v starter motor that pulls about 40amps. I mark for each cell the unloaded voltage, the loaded voltage and the recovery voltage after about 30 seconds. I use a dry marker pen on each cell. Then transfer to a paper sheet. To load the cell I slip the meter probes under the plates each end of the cell then hold the starter connections onto the cell. The voltage will drop and stabilise (sort of just slowly drop 1/10v ) mark this volatge. If the cell is poor the volatge will just keep going down. These are not good cells.
As to replacements I have few at the moment. But you can use the wrong version, I did a thread on using ds instead of Gs, and have a few in my Berlingos done that way. .
WHat part of the country are you in?

Grumpy-b

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:48 pm

Hello again Grumpy.
I'm in the Isle of Wight now with its attendant ferry charge disadvantage. (£40 each way ouch) However, as I still have family in the Midlands, (Lichfield) then logistics are not as problematical as they could be. I assume that cells such as these are not a post/courier option. Just can't imagine one of those guys caring about which way is up on a parcel. My brother in Lichfield is fairly mobile so he could always collect if you are too far away. I haven't asked how much yet but as you will I know agree, it's pretty academic when one considers the alternative. My van is in far too good condition to contemplate scrapping it for a problem that can be solved.
Thanks very much for your time and help so far. It is really appreciated and makes being a member that much more enjoyable.
John

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Posting cells really isnt an option. They have sodium/ potassium hydroxide in them which is less than good to get on anything around the cells. Most carriers wont even look at them. At the moment I dont have disposable spares, but I do periodically get them and sell them, in general expect to pay £125 to 150 for a used cell of about 2003 vinatge, with you collecting them.
If the middle pack has problems then I would suggest putting the best (Possibly youngest) in the centre as its a pig to get out. Then the rear being easier to remove and replace can take the less good ones as its easier to change and repair and cross connect f you have to use the wrong version.
I can remove rebuild and replace the rear in about and hour and a half, the centre one will be a good 4 hours. If you havnt already done so buy a decent set of Torx tools (I use 3/8 drive) remove each of the bolts holding the battery cases in place and copper slip them. Its bad news if one is seized when you try to remove the battery box. Sort that problem out first. Also clean and penetrate oil all the 6mm bolts and nuts holding the various pipe supports and trays underneath .

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:30 am

Oh dear doesnt sound good John

If it helps theres some details on my own battery change thread here http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... p?f=6&t=79

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks for that Grumps. it looks as though my brother may be having a short break in the Island soon. Don't really fancy getting into a 'stuck' situation without someone I can call on to assist.
I shall remain positive. Oh I'm so sorry for the pun.
Kindest regards, John.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”