mk2 dashboard - will it fit? conversion to LHD

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
highend

mk2 dashboard - will it fit? conversion to LHD

Postby highend » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:34 pm

I have 2002 berlingo (old shape) but in 2002 there was also mk2 berlingo introduced.
as far as I know all post-2002 berlingo electrique has new front shape but still old dashboard.

I want to convert berlingo from RHD -> LHD and also give it new shape look - as it is 2002 nobody will ask ;)

I have to change dashboard - so I was thinking if newer shape dashboard will be OK? I mean I will use ICE powered Berlingo LHD for parts needed for conversion and I'm thinking about buying damaged ICE mk2 berlingo - which will have of course new dashboard. The biggest question is about buttons & speedometer/energymeter as I have to leave them from RHD version.... and adopt for mk2 dashboard.

In 99% I know how to and I know people who will do the job to convert Blingo to LHD but I still have concern with dashboard.

If that work I will have unique LHD berlingo electrique with mk2 dashboard which could be quite nice ;)
LHD electrique berlingos are in France / Germany and also Italy - where I saw them. Of course they are original LHD, not conversions. I know one guy in Poland who have 1998 berlingo ev LHD

Grumpy-b

Re: mk2 dashboard - will it fit? conversion to LHD

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:22 am

The mk 2 dash will fit but you do need to do some modifications.
You need the air ducts from the MK 2 to the heater from the air vents.
You als need the MK2 cenntre console, and this needs to be modded to fit the gear` lever assembly , and an oval shaped cover to fill the hole .
The Mk 1 push switches in the middle need to be set back into the support panel, otherwise they stick out too far. I cut out the section from my MK1 and plastic welded it into the MK 2.
The MK2 Column shroud is different as is the MK2 column, the swithches are totally different and cant be used they are all linked to the Computer system in the MK 2 and wont work in a MK1, I trimmed the mk1 to fit.
The gauges fit with a small bit of work to a support bracket that needs welding to the gauge housing. If you are using a MK2 set of headlights you need the MK 2 headlight level control.
The worst part was making a way of putting the Charge flap lever into the dashboard . Mine is in virtually the same place as the KM1 and I cut the lever from the original holder and cut out the MK 2 support to take it, then plasitc welded it back to gether. The cover then having to be cut to take the lever. Lots of work. Measure lots, mock up lots. Cut once.

To simply plastic weld , I use a soldering iron and thin strips of plastic from the old dash supports frame as filler. Its smelly and messy but works fine. Just make sure you do a full depth melt of both parts to ensure a good join.

Grumpy-b

highend

Postby highend » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:54 pm

wow, many thanks! can you attach some pictures from completed dashboard? :)

highend

Postby highend » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:30 am

I successfully converted Berlingo purchased from Rob Sharpe from RHD to LHD.
Everything works, still got old style dashboard anyway (of course LHD version)

I know for UK people it is not so interesting but just to confirm it can be done and is not so difficult :)

Now I will prepare Berlingo Multispace to be converted to being EV ;) like Grumpy-B did :)
Also including RHD->LHD conversion.

You know - here in Poland driving LHD is much easier :)
And we still can't register RHD cars (they have to be LHD) - despite it is against EU law.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”