Buyers Guide... Work in progress

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
boelle

Buyers Guide... Work in progress

Postby boelle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Things to check for (Items in green should be checkable with basic tools such as voltmeter, Red items require jacking up the car etc.)

• The date of the cells:

There is a date sticker on the battery crates but this is no gurantee, cell's can be changed etc. Cell's made before year 2000 are know to have a manufacturing error that leads to early cell death, try avoid them or consider them duff and take this in to considering when offering a price. As of 14/10-2011 new cell's cost 629,51 € each, they can be ordered here: http://www.stueber-automobile.de/ A 6 page test report descriping the problem can be found here: http://www.evdl.org/docs/saft-failures.pdf

• Watering:

The cell's need to be watered every 5000 km. Since not many dealers can or will touch an electric berlingo you might be better off doing this yourself. To do this you need and evlite unit and watering kit. Go here to get it: http://www.tuer.co.uk/evlite.htm Of course if the seller has not done this on a reg. basis or only done it when the water light comes on consider the cell's to be badly maintained. On the test drive you could try water the cells and see how many liters it takes. This again can indicate if the cell's have been proper looked after.

• Range:

Have the car charged by the seller and tell him to leave the plug in. Before the test drive make sure the charge is done. Drive as far as you can go before the recharge light comes on, this will tell you the range you can expect and not what the seller tells you. Good cell's will give you about 80-90 km's with top speed of 72 km/h in mixed driving. Rain and very cold weather takes about 20% of the range. The lifetime range is about 100.000 Km is cells have been taken good care of. The closer or over the 100K km mark the shorter the trip range will be due to normal vear. Remember to use as much regen as possible, ie to brake just let of the speed instead of touching the brake.

• The Brushes:

Check the brushes, by taking off the cover on the motor, holding the spring aside and withdraw the visible brush. They have a line on the side if the wear left is less than 5mm then they need urgently replacing. Look at the comm on the motor, it should be nice and smooth not ridged and uneven, this would also be reflected on the end of the brush. NEED LINK WHERE THEY CAN BE ORDERED

• The front discs

The front discs corrode/rust, as they don't get enough use. Replacement is not expensive and will transform the braking.

• The drain holes in the cases

Check the drain holes in the cases, if there is any draining deposit on this, it could indicate a leak in the coolant, or a holed battery. Take a short lenght of stiff wire and make sure the holes are not blocked to mask problems.

• The rear void bush

Check the rear void bush on the front suspension arms, if they are loose and torn they need replacing. Not costly, but this is the cause of the outer tyre wear. The weight of the electrique make this really important.

• Heater

Run the heater for about 10 mins to check that it works and can produce heat. Important for sub zero winters

• Vacuum Pump

The vacuum pump (sounds like a compressor) comes on periodically to keep the brake server system under vacuum. Normal duty cycle is about 20 secons on couple of minutes of. If the pump comes on longer than that it might indicate a leak in the system.

• Charging - 'Electrical Fault Light' On

Occasionally If you remove the charging plug before it is fully charged, the 'Electrical Fault Light' comes when the ignition is on and stays on until a full trickle charge is performed.
Last edited by boelle on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Help me build a big local network: http://gogetfunding.com/project/big-local-network
Best Pizza In Town: www.pizzaløg.dk

boelle

Re: Buyers Guide... Work in progress

Postby boelle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:33 pm

This is an attempt to make a guide for buyers. You can see it as a kind of checklist. Reply with your ideas and they will be added to the first post. Over time we should be able to have a good starting point for both beginners and the more advanced driver
Help me build a big local network: http://gogetfunding.com/project/big-local-network

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:39 pm

Couple of things, the watering is done on Ah overcharge and not miles/km, this can be found via using the EVlite or similar diagnostic unit like the DAIG2000

Also lots of useful info here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=181

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

boelle

Postby boelle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:08 pm

doh :-D did take the info from there.... i just recall that it was every 5000 km

but my plan was that the first post would never be 100% done, allways have last % room for corrections and updates.

but to make clear on the watering... this is only done on/after a maint charge? will correct first post tomorrow

Others with the right admin/edit right are welcome to make corrections in orange colour (just so i can see my own mistakes etc)

ultimate this should be good enough to be a sticky

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”