Berlingo Maintenance

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Grumpy-b

Berlingo Maintenance

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed May 04, 2011 8:16 am

If like me you dont get an MOT but do regular checks and maintenance, an area where you might like to check thoroughly is the brake load balance valve thingy. Its sited above the rear suspension on the drivers side , It has a spring and a lever and 4 pipe connections.
This works by the lever being pulled by the spring, which it attached to the moving part of the suspension. Depending upon the depression of the lever it reacts against a pressurised plunger that controlls the flow of brake fluid to the brakes. Whilst my Electriques are fine, I recently had the lever seize on my Diesel. A few squirts of penetrating oil top and bottom of the pivot and a few moves of the lever and all is well. This isnt obvious from a visual inspection, you need to try and move the lever. That should be relatively easy. If stiff you have a problem. Depending on where it seizes up this could give too much rear braking, which could give rear wheels locking up when lightly loaded.
On the front brakes, since they dont get used a lot, the discs have a tendancy to rust badly. The pads seem to last forever though. Discs arnt too expensive, but they do come up on ebay quite often. They are common with a number of other Citroens. Solid not vented (Later MK2 ones can be vented). Its also worth removing the caliper checking the free movement of the plunger style mountings and the condition of the gaiters. Grease whe you replace them. Check the movement of the piston, by getting someone to very gently push the pedal down whilst watching the piston. Dont forget to push it back or use a G clamp to gently push it back. Check the seal. If its split you shouldnt ignore it. A complete piston Seal kits can be got from Citroen or recon calipers are about £50 from motor factors.
Removing the caliper holder to remove the disc can be problematic. The bolts are loctited in. Heavy handed wrenching will just round off the Torx bolt. So you need to appy heat using an Oxy/Acet torch on the hub where the bolt thread is located. Dont use a propane torch the flame is too big and not hot enough. You will do damage. When the disc is replaced wait for it all to cool down before re-assembly.
Its worth clamping the rubber hose and making sure the bleed nipple is free. Only use a socket or a ring spanner. DOnt use an upen end as this will tend to round off the flats very easily. If its seized. Its a caliper off project. SO you would need to plan for that.. I believe the seal kit comes with a new bleed nipple.
Rear brakes, tend to last well, but the cylinders can leak, so periodic removal of the Drum is important. Always put the small drum retaining screws back with a small smear of copper ease. Being a taper they do tend to seize under the head.

Happy motoring
Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Re: Berlingo Maintenance

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 05, 2011 10:05 pm

Excellent advice Grumps.

I'd also like to add that you need to check the flexible brake hoses, again just because they look fine doesnt mean they are, try and bend them in half (unlikely you will be able to) but on the outer part of what ever bend you make check the pipes for any type of cracking or perishing, if theres any sign of cracking then change them, their not that expensive, but vital for braking :wink:

One last thing if you grease on any part of the braking cylinders/pistons area do make sure you use red rubber grease and NOT regular grease as it will very soon damage the seals and gators
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Castrol-Red-Rubbe ... 5d2cc535c0
Also copperslip is another great item to have in your tool box to put on the rear of the pads etc as this will stop any squeaks etc
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMMA-GENERAL-PUR ... 35aeb3fc80

Added this thread to the FAQ

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

harry morris

Postby harry morris » Fri May 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Good points GENTS, personally I always get my van M O T'd every year, my reason for this is the man can inspect everything much better on his ramp than we can on our trolley jacks get his crow bar under the suspension etc and im'e sure the insurance companies would use the lack of an M O T as an excuse not to pay out in the event of a claim, it will be in their fine print somewhere despite the law stating that an M O T is not required due to some obscure reason to do with milk floats
I think the £45 per year for the annual test is money well spent, cheers HARRY MORRIS

hohisilver

Postby hohisilver » Fri May 06, 2011 12:43 pm

I wasn't aware that an MOT is optional? :shock: Does this apply to all electric vehicles?
Ian.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri May 06, 2011 3:18 pm

An electric powered light goods vehicle is exempt from MOT. Nothing to do with milk floats.
If the vehicle could pass the requirements of the vehicle construction and use regs, which the MOT reflects, then an Insurance Company would be on dodgy grounds refusing a claim because you didnt have an MOT you are not legally required to have. But if one wants peace of mind, then £54. isnt a bad deal.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat May 07, 2011 3:16 pm

Its very similar to my friend who owns a 5 ton 1942 military vehicle truck, no MOT requirements there either, TBH I'm not sure how they can actually MOT a vehicle that doesnt require a MOT, as whats to say what is a pass and what is not a pass, OK with the Berlingo it is at the end of the day a fairly standard Berlingo van just with a different drive train, but with my friends truck it wouldnt even fit on a standard ramp let alone thier rolling road brake tester :lol: :lol:

However, just because it doesnt need an MOT doesnt mean its allowed to be un-road worthy, have an accident and if its deemed your brakes are shot or your running on bald tyres then it still means your get nicked, so its very wise to check the van/truck regularly.

I suspect people check their vans far more often than folks with regular cars, I know I do.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat May 07, 2011 6:51 pm

The MOT is only a snapshot. It could be a completly unroadworthy vehicle for the rest of the year. But if you get stopped by the boys in blue its still expected to be in full compliance with the Construction and use regs. Same with an insurance claim. Just because it has an MOT doesnt mean its road worthy. So like Chris I do a lot more checking and am quite critical of any faults. Having plenty of spares makes repairs easier. I still however cant convince myself to lower the front subframe to change the power steering ram. Buts thats for another day.

Grumpy-b

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”