Berlingo steering rack

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Grumpy-b

Berlingo steering rack

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Just over a year ago I had very notchy steering on my Diesel Partner, which is caused by a leaking seal on the rear mounted Hydraulic ram. This also gives a lack of self centering. Replacement isnt a simple as you have to lower the whole subframe to gain access.
So I resorted to a well known brand of Powersteering sealer sold through Halfords, (available at other Vehicle accessory stores as well) No change to start with, then after about a week all seemed well. A year later its still fine.
My Electrique has now started the same problem, so it time to tip in the other half of the tube I didnt use on the Diesel.

As a concept I dont like using these sort of things, its just masking the problem, but as a solution it does work. I can now think about changing the Ram at a later date when I have time, I have the spares (The HDI diesel is the only one in the Range that uses a different ram size so my spares wont do). Hopefully this will work as well on the Electrique as the HDI.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Re: Berlingo steering rack

Postby ChrisB » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:47 pm

I've used a similar product in auto boxes (if it works on the same principle ) it does seem to work for a reasonable amount of time by causing the seals to swell and thus stopping the leak, but I did find that after several years with it in the box it made ALL the seals go very hard and the whole thing then leaked like a seive :roll:
Speaking to an auto box man he did pull a face when I said I bunged it in, his recommendation was if you "must" go for this type of fast fix then put it in, wait until the leak/s stop then drain and refill the box with fresh oil and that tends to stop the seals from hardening up due to prolonged exposure to the chemical that causes them to swell in the first place, although he did say it might start to leak again 12mth or so on but it should mean it wont trash all the rest of the seals :?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:08 pm

I totally agree. These later versions do claim to be a lubricant and coating. Dont know how that works. Not a bad idea to drai and refill though.

Grumpy-b

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Finally had to sort this. It was better to run with the Powersteering pump disconnected.
The berlingo has a very simple Powersteering system with the Ram bolted to the back of the rack. To get the rack out you have to drop the front crossmember, but to change the ram, you can do it through gaps in the crossmember/ subframe. Not physically easy but doable. Job done and steering back to usable again. The ram is a sealed unit so its not easy to rebuild.

Worth doing, if you have heavy steering, its a couple of hours laying in the drive and you will end up covered in steering fluid but worth it. The steering rack is common to all the earlier berlingos, except the HDI. But do check its the version with threaded connections. The HDI has a plate and clamp arrangement. The ram connects with two short pipes to the rack which houses the valve gear.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Nice work, dont suppose you grabbed a few pics of your work :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:38 am

Couldnt get my body comfortably underneath let alone a camera, but I do have a subframe rack etc off the vehicle so I can readily do some pics of the bits.
Job for tonight.

Grumpy-b

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:15 am

Whilst the early Blingos seem to have the occasional problem with the power steering ram internally leaking any hydraulic locking, another problem with the MK11 version is that the lower steering shaft is of a poorer design and the lower UJ seizes. I have now had two of these go. If there is some movement in one of the sets of bearings then you may only get stiffness on each half turn but it does depend upon how much movemment there is on the other set of the four bearings. I have just done another one that I was convinced had the RAM problem, as the stiffness was continuous and appeared to lock virtually solid, but it was the shaft . Part number is 4105 H5, Around £50+VAT or a lot less for a genuine iten by mail order through Ebay. You cant use the early MK1 part as they had a splined steering rack, the later one has a double D shaft with flats on two sides. Can be done from the ground with the OS wheel removed and a 13mm socket.
If you are desperate then with the shaft removed, dig off the small seals on the UJ, and treat to lots of penetrating fluid and waggle the shaft in the jaws of the vice. This is a very short term solution, but can mean you can more safely use the vehicle until the part arrives.
Note all versions of Electrique use the same RAM, and all Berlingos have the same pipe fixings, although the later racks have different hose fixings from the rack out to the pump.
The Electrique ram is a smaller diameter than the Diesel versions, so whilst they would work, and will fit, it may have less feel (Bigger piston = more power =lighter steering) but I dont know if the pump would produce the required extra volume quickly enough. My feeling is it would but I havnt tried it.
LAst point the internal rubber shield is a pain to get back so be patient and you may find a set of long handled long nose pliers helpful in pulling the tabs into place.

Grumpy-b

berlingoian

Postby berlingoian » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:55 pm

Our local family run Citroen garage man said he'd never heard of a steering rack failing
on a blingo, when my mate took his recently, turned out it had been replaced previously, could only assume as result of accident damage...

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:01 pm

The rack doesnt fail. The ram is a separate bolt on part to the rear of the rack. Its very different from a lot of cars where the internals of the rack are part of the hydraulics, so any hydraulic failure means a change of steering rack. Not so the Berlingo. I know at least 6 vehicles that have had the Ram leak internally and it then can hydraulic lock with virtually the same pressure on either side of the piston.
Grumpy-b

willfromsussex

Postby willfromsussex » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:56 am

I tried driving mine with the pump unplugged.. to save power, and I find it annoying that the pump runs continuously even when the contactor is not even in, IE not 'started.' Will it damage the ram? I was wondering if any versions of the Berlingo ever came with a manual rack as that would surely give you an extra mile or two on the range, especially on a long hours, very slow road speed / stationary traffic scenario.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”