Berlingo Suspension

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Grumpy-b

Berlingo Suspension

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:17 pm

I will try and load some images later on.

The front suspension of Berlingos was subject to a recall. This was to retro fit a guard to the lower spring cup of the front struts. This was to retain the spring should it break as it was possible for the spring to go through the tyre.
I have just had a spring go on my Partner HDI. The first boing was a bit puzzling, as I couldnt see anything. The next boing, this weekend was obvious as a complete turn of the spring had broken off the top. Upon removal, the spring had indeed broken earlier and was held in the retention cup and wasnt visible. Its quite a mess.
Whilst my Electriques from Hammersmith and Fullham council all had the mod, my white Van has not. Its worth checking, because I have no doubt that a broken spring would readily go through the top of the tyre should a lower half break leaving a loose section of spring.
I have no idea if the recall could still be accessed to get the work done by PSA. But the parts are on all late vehicles (Post 2001) as a matter of course, so could be readily got second hand.
Grumpy-b

Jeremy

Re: Berlingo Suspension

Postby Jeremy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Very good tip. This happened to my wife's C2 a few weeks ago - a loud bang from the front as she turned the wheel on the drive to pull away, followed by some nasty crunching noises when I tried to move the car. Her car was also subject to the same recall (I think PSA used the same suspension design on a number of cars) and it hadn't been done. When I jacked the car up and took the wheel off the broken end of the spring was about 1/4" away from the inner sidewall of the tyre. It had broken into a very sharp point and if it had failed whilst driving and gone through the tyre (which is what the recall mod is supposed to prevent) the consequences don't bear thinking about. The spring did pull the brake hose and bracket off the suspension strut, too, but luckily without fracturing it.

I find it odd that these springs break with such monotonous regularity and have such potential to cause serious damage. I was surprised when I did a web search just how common front spring breakages are on PSA cars.

Jeremy

cianof

Postby cianof » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:36 pm

That is worrying...

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/recalls.jsp?&makeName=Citroen&modelName=Berlingo&modelID=E2&makeId=A7&lowIndex=3

Recall Ref: R/2005/097
Exact Model: Berlingo Berlingo electric
Description: Suspension springs may break
VIN: Berlingo VF700000065335197 to VF700000065895578, Berlingo Electric VF700000094000175 to VF700000094064754
Build Date:
Numbers: 50357
Defect: In the exceptional event of a spring breaking, there could be a risk of the spring making contact with the vehicle tyre.
Action: Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and fit a suspension cup to each side of the front suspension.
Launch Date: 13 July 2005

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:12 pm

My S reg project car (ex Southwark, via GrumpyB) has not had this mod. I gave my local Citroen dealer the chassis number in order to get the kit and fit it myself, as it is still off the road, but they said that the mod was not applicable to that van. He said that very often the chassis numbers NOT included in a recall were hard to fathom.
Tim Crumpton

cianof

Postby cianof » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:26 pm

I wonder could it be a batch of springs that were at fault?

Legally it may have been safer for them to say "In the exceptional event of a spring breaking". Who knows.

My vans vin is in the 653 range, which is applicable to the Berlingo description and not the Berlingo Electric. That might be a misprint on the recall.

Berlingo VF700000065335197 to VF700000065895578, Berlingo Electric VF700000094000175 to VF700000094064754

The Gov recall site doesn't differentiate.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=214AD7347F222260802570340034ECDE&freeText=Blank&tx=

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:44 pm

I have checked with PSA and mine isnt in the listing. So not subject to recall. I do have a spare set of covers so they will get transposed later in the week. The suspension leg is common design to P 306 Cit BX, and Xsara Picasso, possibly Xsara as well. The 306/ BX struts I have on my Electric Multispace have the same mounting holes for this part.
Its quite quick to fit and nothing has to be removed to do it.

As a point if you ever have to change a shock, consider getting a new rod / dirt cover. All the ones I have (all about 20 to 30 K miles) 6 vehicles in all have badly worn sides where they are too close to the spring. They arnt cheap at about £12 a go but could probably use a pattern part.

Like Jeremy I was surprised how much of the spring could escape. Its worse in modern vehicles as the spring is located over the tyre, so being exactly in the wrong place when it does let go.

Keep checking.
Grumpy-b

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”