Belingo 16a lead

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
evanmjones

Belingo 16a lead

Postby evanmjones » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:46 am

Hi,

I'm going to get a 16a socket installed for charging my Blingo. Or rather would, except I don't have a 16a lead. So the first question is:

Does anyone know where I can get my fingers on a 16a Berlingo charging lead?

A slight bombardment of follow up questions: Out of interest, how does the van /know/ what ampage it's connected to? I'm guessing that the van end plug (is there a proper name for it?) is wired differently for 16a than 13a. If that's so I guess I could build my own 16a lead if the van end plugs are available for other applications?

Any comments or advice appreciated.

Many thanks,

Evan

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:21 am

Hello Evan

What have you got now, and what exactly are you after?

A 16A, 240V single phase socket (blue caravan/commando style) is a good idea to cope with the standard 13A draw, as a 13A plug/socket can't really cope running at full whack for hours on end. I have a drawer full of toasted plugs and wallplates to testify to that.

All you need to do is remove the 13A plug and fit a blue 16A plug to your existing lead. Then you might consider making a short convertor lead with a 16A socket on one end and a 13A plug on the other, for those occasions when you are visiting a place with a 13A socket but no 16A socket (e.g. your friend's house)

French Berlingos were set at 15A, and I believe it is possible to reprogramme the ECU to a new charging value if you have access to the Actia/Lexia diagnostic tool (Evan Tuer's newest EvLite might do it too - you will have to ask him). However, if you do this you will no longer be able to use your convertor lead at your friend's house. Is it worth it for a 48 minute speed-up on a 6 hour charge? Maybe it is.

If you do want an entirely new lead, I think some people on here have found a supplier for the Marechal/Avcon plug.
Tim Crumpton

evanmjones

Postby evanmjones » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:10 pm

Interesting - OK, so the ECU sets the charge rate regardless of the type of lead? That makes sense. I was reading about the 13a 16a and "high speed" charging options (the latter only avialable in parts of Paris, apparently) and wondered how the vehicle knew which it was attached to. If the answer is "it doesn't" then that figures.

I've been charging it on the 13a. No problems with heating. I have a 13a socket which I had installed near the front door when I had the house rewired a couple of years ago. RCD integrated plug on short extension lead into porch. 16a cable. 13a "industrial" extension socket in porch.

I was thinking about the 16a socket and I'm going to economy 7 tariffs for charging it and want a timeswitch. As the number of connections between initial socket and Blingo plug would be getting a little high I thought about getting a 16a socket installed properly in the porch with an imersion heater timeswitch in the line. I could, of course still do that with a 16a plug to 13a socket converter lead as you suggest and the RCD on the board. Will sleep on that but sounds like a good idea as although I've had no heating problems your experience makes me think it's a definite possibility.

Many thanks for the advice,

Evan

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:15 pm

The french option is actually only 14A so not a huge increase and it needs to be set using a main dealer unit.

TBH it doesnt make a huge difference, might save a bit on recharge time.

As Tim says 16A plug and socket is the best way to go, but Robs managed to even burn one of those out :lol:

TBH a "decent" branded 13A plug and socket should be fine, I've been using a MK metalclad double socket and MK 13A plug (with wrap round terminals) for the past 3yrs without any burning out problems at all 8)

Where as I went to a friends "new build" and promptly burnt out 2 x 13A double sockets in under 4hrs, further investigation revealed they where some nasty cheap imports :roll:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:09 am

Agree with Chris - change to 14Amp with the Actia kit, but I tried it and it just hastens the demise of the wall plate. As for an expensive time switch, its not really needed coz when the switch goes on there is v.little current flow for about 10 seconds while the charger goes through its startup routine. If you make the OFF time of the timer longer than it would normally take to fully charge Blingo then you are never going to ask the timer to switch off full load.

John

evanmjones

Postby evanmjones » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks all, that sounds like good advice.

Cheers,

Evan

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”