106 electric fault

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
John Kay

106 electric fault

Postby John Kay » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:57 pm

I have just bought a 1998 106 electric which I have coveted for the last 8 years, it has only done 6,800 miles and the car runs fine but intermittently it stops, the contactor drops out and the orange warning light comes on. Sometimes the car jerks or rocks backwards and forwards slightly before it stops. I have read most of the forum entries about this and I think I will start by replacing the brushes. Does anyone have any of the correct brushes for sale? Or know exactly where I can purchase a set of the correct items? Or any circuit or logic diagrams to say why the orange warning is coming on?
Last edited by John Kay on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

cianof

Postby cianof » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:16 pm

Hey John,

I would recommend not driving the car until you have inspected the commutator and brushes.

If your commutator looks like this:

You'll have to get it resurfaced to look like this:

The damage is caused by the copper wires in the brushes coming into contact with the commutator.

Driving with worn out brushes can damage the vans controller which is a very expensive part to replace.

Hope u get it sorted.

Cian

John Kay

Postby John Kay » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:38 am

Cian Thanks for the reply, I hope it is not like the one in the picture!
Is it easy to get to the brushes? are they accessed from under the vehicle?
Regards
John

cianof

Postby cianof » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:21 pm

The inspection hatch is at the bottom of the motor, it is held in place by a couple of bolts. You'll have to crawl under the car to see it.

You can get brushes on ebay sometimes, from the Citroen dealers (most expensive) or from schunk (only do bulk orders above £250 I think...)

If may also be possible to a set from Casram in Switzerland (I have no experience with these brushes)
Their email is sales@casram.com
CHF 27,50 each. minimum order is CHF 100.
The part number for the peugeot 106 electric might be 05.103226 however I suggest you confirm this with Casram.
Source: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:Arsharpe/drafts/berlingo_fault_finding1

wattson

Postby wattson » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:39 am

Just a thought, John, is the standard car battery up to snuff? The car relies on this to allow the other electrics to work. Easy to check, too.
Bent Berlingo

John Kay

Postby John Kay » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:12 am

As soon as I got the car I took the old 12v battery out and replaced it with a new one (£22.50) and cleaned all the connections. The old battery was completely dead, the car then charged from the mains taking around 19 amps initially through the NIcads, the charge indicator rose gradually to 100% after about 6 hours. The voltage on the NIcads the settled at around 136v, after the charge cycle. After running the car around (no MOT yet) the works estate area the voltage dropped to around 126v, but the orange lamp comes on intermittently and the contactor drops out.?

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”