Removing the motor

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Flying John
Site Staff

Removing the motor

Postby Flying John » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:14 pm

Someone asked at the Blingo Meeting at the "creators" house at the weekend about removing the motor. Here is a "how to remove the motor" script a member of the French EV list sent me. It may refer to the SAXO rather than the Blingo - but I think it is hepfull.

[u]Motor Removal[/u]

Detach the motor cables from the connection box (two thick ones for the armature current and two thinner ones for field current).

Remove the lower front battery box to make room for the motor. You cannot take the motor directly down because the wheel supports are in the way.

Remove the torsion arm below the car between the motor and the body. Loosen the rear joint and open the bolt in the foremost joint and leave the torsion arm hanging under the car.

Use a motor lifting tool with a hydraulic boom and a hook. Pass straps through the motor compartment and under motor to support it. Hang the straps from the hook. You may remove the motor hood the make the job easier. Use a hall jack and some wood or pallets to support the motor from below if needed.

Remove the sensor wires from the motor.

Tighten the straps to support the motor so that it does not fall down when the bolts are detached. In the wheel well above the drive axles there are openings that give access to the bolts that attach the motor to the left and right carrier plate.

Detach the three left-side bolts. Now the left side of the motor is loose. For the right side, first detach the vacuum pump. It is attached using partly the same bolts that hold the motor.

To do this, first detach the lowermost bolt for the vacuum pump. It has a bushing, don't lose it. Then detach the two bolts common to the vacuum pump and the motor. Pay attention, the bolts are not all identical. Leave the vacuum pump attached to its vacuum hose. You may support it with a string if needed. Open the last motor bolt and also the right end of the motor is loose.

Lower the motor and push it slightly forward so that the drive axles come past the wheel supports. Before lowering it too much, open the nut in the parking brake lever above the motor and detach the parking brake cable bracket. The gear selector should be in neutral. (When re-assembling the cable, don't let the tightening moment turn the parking brake lever when tightening its nut.)

When the motor is lowered past the wheel supports, take the drive axles off. The right one has no mechanical fixing, it can just be pulled off. The left drive axle is attached with a bracket. Remove the two screws and take the bracket off. The left drive axle is long and goes all the way through the motor to the differential at the right end of the motor. You must have room to move the motor sideways to the right, half a meter or so, to get the left drive axle out.

cianof

Postby cianof » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:09 pm

Can we make this a sticky?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:18 pm

What I'll do is add it to Robs Faq with a link :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Badger

Postby Badger » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:33 pm

cor thank you so much for this ,i am to do this procedure shortly so am very gratefull .although i think i might have to ask for more idiot proof directions on some of the stages as im not too familiar with all the terminology , -- being only a mere woodworker!!
i will however attempt to photo diary my progress -partly to help others and partly to facilitate forumees to point out how i have gone wrong. I dont normally make mistakes but i suppose it could happen!!
my goal is to get the comm out for re-surfacing.
you are more possible than you can powerfully imagine.

www.woodrum.co.uk

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”