MES heater

Dedicated to the conversion sold by the now defunct Electric Car Company

Moderator: mattcarr

Grumpy-b

MES heater

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:32 pm

Many of the later cars have a black plastic cased water heater at the front of the car on the passenger side. Many are finding this has ceased to function. The earlier alloy item will have this problem as well.
Before you right it off, check that the water is flowing properly. The rubber pipes are simple straight lengths of hose and are pushed onto the heater matrix and held with Jubilee clips, these when new seem to have had a reasonable bend and supported themselves quite well. As they get older the pipe collapses resulting in virtually no flow and the heater shutting down due to over heating. These pipes are a real pain to get to , its easier if you have a vehicle lift and virtualy impossible without (Unless you are very very flexible and long of arm). But I would suggest that you remove the rubber pipes and install two simple bends. The heater matrix inlet is about 13mm bore and around 18mm od, so a couple of 15mm Yorkshire fittings would work well and have a nice shoulder to ensure the hose clamps tight. WIth this mod the hose wont collapse and flow will return. Check the other bends at the heater end as well. I have seen some with long tube loops some short and cramped, and some with plastic elbows.

Grumpy-b
Attachments
P1016526c.jpg
P1016526c.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 20085 times

Grumpy-b

Re: MES heater

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:03 am

I have recently replaced a MESdea heater with one of my PTC units, however all was not as expected. It turns out the original heater was actually wired form new to be on all the while, and only gave cooler air by virtue of the air blending feature of the heater. The original wiring was set up so that instead of the feed to the contactor going through a relay when 12v was provided from the ign switch, the feed from 12v went straight to the contactor. Result was the heater eventually gave up. That also probably accounts for a slight but noticable increase in range earlier this year.

The best and simplest option to get the contactor working was to use the feed to the heater pump, which did come from the relay, this is now shortened and re routed to suppy the contactor coil. Problem solved.

Grumpy-b

techmind

Postby techmind » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:52 am

I desided to replace the MES heater with a eberspacher d4w heater, i works well, and use less current than one front light bulb.

This i my installation: http://techmind.dk/citroen-c1-evie-elbil/tag/eberspacher-d4wsc/

I now have a original MES heater in profits, it might be for sale or interchanged with spare LiFePo4 cells i anyone is interrested ;)

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Ahhh, Michael, I am interested in you MES heater please..... I will send a PM

Regards

Matt

Return to “ECCPLC C1 ev'ie”