Car crawls and encoder error

Dedicated to the conversion sold by the now defunct Electric Car Company

Moderator: mattcarr

Grumpy-b

Car crawls and encoder error

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:19 pm

If you find that your evie will move at less than a crawl in either direction, and may come up with a enc (encoder) error then dont get too disheartened.
This is likely to be that the rotary encoder that tells the controller what speed the motor is turning at has a problem. The most likely problem is that the encoder disc has come loose.
This is under the steel cover on the non drive end of the motor, its easier if you remove the arch liner (move to one side) Take the cover off the motor end, and remove the two screws holding the black plastic cover. The optical encoder is held on with two cross head screws and they need to come out you can then slde out the encoder. The disk will probably just slide off the shaft. Check shaft and alloy hub are not worn. There are two very very small grubscrews, (1.3mm hex key) take them out and loctite them. Re assemble, but dont tighten the grub screws, put back the encoder and tighten fully. The encoder disk needs to be roughly in the middle of the gap in the encoder. Tighten the grubscrews. Refit cover and steel motor end cover re fit arch liner. Drink tea.
Job done
Grumpy-b

Grumpy-b

Re: Car crawls and encoder error

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed May 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Just had another one with a similar error, but a totally different problem.
The encoder has two elements in it so that it can be used to work out rotation direction. One didnt give an output .So replaced the encoder (I now have spares inported from the US). No difference, traced all the wires to the big plug on the wing / splash guard. But the problem was that the cable had been worn through from the encoder to that plug/ socket. the large loop from the Motor end to the inner wing had been touching the drive shaft. I missed this lying on my back underneath it. One of the encoder circuits was completely gone just a bit of PVC outer insulation left. Must have been open for some time as the cable has corrosion virtually all the way back to its ends in both directions, (about 150mm), This has a flexible tube cover so not easy to replace, I used a section of 8mm split convoluted loom covering. Works a treat
So check the cable and the drive shafts, at the same time check the heater hose on the other side because that can also touch the drive shaft on the near side.
While under this car I also noted the loop of cable from the back of the car top the front had been dangling down onto the garbox, and damaged. Also more alarmingly the main three cables to the motor have no grommets, and two had already got cuts. Not easty to sort properly other than with split grommets, or as I did with some heavy close woven Nylon abrasion covering for cables and pipes, which wraps around the cableand can be pushed into the hole. The whole lot secured with insulation tape and lots of silicone sealer. The grommets dont work well, as the cables have a tight exust from the holes the grommets tend to get cut or pushhed out. I would prefere to use cable glands but with the crimped lugs on the end you cant get them through the gland. Except by cutting off and replacing the crimped lugs

Grumpy-b

loser

Postby loser » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:04 am

After two weeks ago has made problems the coupling between
engine and gearbox is it now has a new problem.

When driving on Friday the 13th I heard some where forward
a strange noise irregular and sometimes stops accelerating
for a short time. Once the car stopped and the display was
the error message
"CONTR 0/C"

I then jacked up the car and spin the wheel when I noticed
that the encoder on the motor is the strange noise.
After I removed the lid, have a small screw
dropped out. It is one of the three screws had come loose
and was swirling around the chassis.
Luckily the encoder disk and the sensor was not damaged.
I have now fixed all 3 screws with glue on the thread.
After the first test drive all the problems were gone.
Attachments
Bild0142.jpg
Bild0142.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 14591 times

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:59 pm

Good you sorted it. Its important that the slotted wheel is centred in the encoder slot.
I have imported some spare encoders and keep them as stock, as they are not availaible in the UK/EU and cost a lot from HPEV as an one off item.

Grumpy-b

Return to “ECCPLC C1 ev'ie”