Old BMS Hardware Thread

Threads relating to the BMS system begun by Peter Perkins

Moderators: GregsGarage, retepsnikrep

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:15 pm

Peter,

If Rick doesn't want your spare BMS display, I could make use of it. Got my SV2000 chips today. Just let me know what you want for it.

Greg.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

steiner

Postby steiner » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:54 pm

Peter/Greg,

I could certainly use the display as I don't think the place I purchased one from has ever even sent the replacement unit. However, Greg...I think you have contributed to this project much more than I have. I am still trying to catch up to you guys. So with that said I think Greg is more deserving of it but Peter I will let you make that decision.

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:02 pm

OK.

Rick I thought you wanted it/one to mount in a special location inside dash or have you changed your mind?

Greg are you going to mount it in the dash or go for the stick on one like my new setup.

Ref the wireless remote display, do we actually need a lcd display on the remote display?

Could/should we just have different Alarm beeps and the flashing Led indicating valid data is being received, that would make it very small and very much cheaper. 8) Also this would reduce component count, reduce current drain and make running on 3xAA cells quite feasible. Combined drain of Rxd and 08M about 3ma using the receiver I used or <1ma with some others :wink:
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Peter,

Send the display to Rick. I am currently working on a battery cycler, using a arduino board and the SV2000 serial to video chip. Since this is not going in a car I will scrounge an old TV from somewere which will serve my purposes just as well.

Ref remote display. I would vote for keeping the lcd display. Could you switch it on/off somhow to save power. Regarding the idea of a SMS to a mobile, I would think that this would be better done at the master rather than the remote display. You could set it up to text when charging has finished or for a alarm condition which would make a simple remote without a lcd display redundant.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

steiner

Postby steiner » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:09 am

Peter,

Let me know how much you want for the display and I will send the money.

As for the remote display, I think it is all going to come down to a comfort issue. I know for me initially the more info that I have the more comfortable I am going to feel. However, I am sure in time after I am convinced everything is working well all I will need is to know an alarm has triggered which can certainly be accomplished via the small speaker.

Keeping it relatively small and low power consumption I would think to be very important which eliminating the display will certainly help. Why not design for both. If you want the display, simply plug it in. If not, the speaker/flashing LED is your notification.

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:25 am

steiner wrote:Peter,
Keeping it relatively small and low power consumption I would think to be very important which eliminating the display will certainly help. Why not design for both. If you want the display, simply plug it in. If not, the speaker/flashing LED is your notification.

Good idea, I'll make the LCD display an option. Same pcb.

You could always watch all the data coming in on the fly in an Excel spreadsheet anyway. And with macros you can create alarms in Excel to trigger various things in real time I understand.

So you could create a fresh/growing spreadsheet for each charge cycle to create a database/file for later anaylsis as cells/pack ages, but you would need to leave you laptop/pc on while the data is collected in real time.

I will be testing this on Monday.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.

retepsnikrep

Remote Display

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:30 am

Here is final schematic for Remote display/data interface.

www.solarvan.co.uk/bms/RemoteDisplay.jpg

I've sent it to my pcb man today.

It can operate on mains/battery and lcd is optional.

Data sheet for AM radio module AM-HRR3-433 reqd here

http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/D ... AM-HRR.pdf

Latest Master/Remote code is here

With Lcd www.solarvan.co.uk/bms/RemoteDisplay150809_v07.txt

Without Lcd www.solarvan.co.uk/bms/RemoteMonitor150809_v01.txt

www.solarvan.co.uk/bms/MASTER_SERIAL_15 ... 00BAUD.txt

Hopefully will try data logging today or tomorrow.

Edit

I can now capture data onto my Pc from the remote display unit. Only as far as a txt file at the moment. I can import that into excel no problem, but it's a two stage process at the moment, I want to cut it down.
Regards Peter

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:20 pm

Remote display pcb pdf is here. I'm about to order some boards, anyone want one? Probably about £10.00 each.

www.solarvan.co.uk/bms/RM-Colour.pdf
Regards Peter

steiner

Postby steiner » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:50 am

Peter,

I will take two of them. Let me know how much you also want for the display and to ship all of it here to the US and I'll send the money.

Rick

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:26 am

Rick

I will only be supplying the boards not any parts for the remote. If you mean the display for the remote, that is a 16x2 2400baud 8,N,1 serial lcd device there are lots of suppliers about. I suggest you have a look over there for that. I will produce a parts list shortly for it. I will however send you that other main BMS display as we discussed as I had offered it to you first. May be a couple of weeks before I get boards though.

Peter
Regards Peter

Return to “BMS thread”