Old BMS Hardware Thread

Threads relating to the BMS system begun by Peter Perkins

Moderators: GregsGarage, retepsnikrep

retepsnikrep

Re: Old BMS Hardware Thread

Postby retepsnikrep » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:15 am

The allegor current sensors have some pretty solid bus bars for the main current. I crimped and soldered some big ring terminals directly to them for high current tabs. No issues with 100A on my setup.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

hohisilver

Postby hohisilver » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks, at least I know how to connect it now :) At least one of the people on my forum has seen instantaneous currents of about 140A on his Cycle Analyst, but he's running his controller a lot higher than mine. I see from the datasheet that the 200B is good for -/+200A anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to exceed that!
Ian.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:24 pm

The Allegro terminals are actually rated for 4X the max load. So the 200A sensor will handle/pass currents of upto 800A before acting like a fuse.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.

hohisilver

Postby hohisilver » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:47 pm

*Definitely* enough then :) Got most of the components now, just finding some time to start the build :D
Ian.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

GregsGarage

Allegro pcb

Postby GregsGarage » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:45 pm

I have designed my first pcb with kicad, picture posted below. :shock: The allegro current sensor isn't rendered properly in the picture as I adapted the part from an existing library part. I have just put 2 6.3mm holes in the board for connecting the power leads to, and a 3 pin header for connecting wires to the master. Should make for a tidy connection when using the Allegro current sensor. Any thoughts before I order some boards. I will post the complete kicad files for the board after a few final tweaks.
Attachments
current board.jpg
current board.jpg (70.1 KiB) Viewed 15303 times
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

hohisilver

Postby hohisilver » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:31 am

Ok, my build is going well - have populated 2 of the 25-cell slaves and completely built the master, programmed all the PICs, but - the damn SV2000 is taking ages to get across the Atlantic so I can't test anything yet! :cry:

In the meantime I've created a modified spreadsheet from the bits that I've bought as an updated parts list:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApdAEVb_S04pdDR4N3JYQnpIcUhaWkctYVZXOWNtSUE&hl=en_GB&authkey=CKWt7ZcP#gid=0

It's still a work in progress but most of it is there, complete with Farnell part numbers and prices. Hope it helps anyone else taking on this project!
Ian.

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:42 am

Board looks good Greg. I assume the yellow things are capacitors? What is the resistor for?

Ian thanks for parts list very useful.
Regards Peter

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:52 am

The 2 caps and current limiting resistor are shown in the data sheet's typical circuit for the device. Will try and get the gerbers sent to ITead this weekend and see how they come out.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz

dillond666

Postby dillond666 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Greg,

I'd like to share one of my KiCad experiences with you. It is well worth checking the soldermask layers in a gerber viewer because I had an issue with a 3mm led that was in the standard library that you get with KiCad. The pads on the footprint file (viewable from cvpcb and fixable from pcbnew module editor) was set to be visible only in the front soldermask, meaning that soldering from the back side of the board would be impossible :shock: It's easily fixed by editing the pads and checking the rear soldermask layer but it's one to watch out for :wink: Have a look in your module library and you'll see what I mean. (3mm led).
For the record I preferred the gerber viewer that was part of the GEDA suite, it seemed easier to use.

Derek

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks for the tip Derek. I have placed an order with ITead, so fingers crossed I got it all right. :shock: I agree with you on the gerber viewer in gEDA, I prefer it over the one in Kicad. Kicad has an advantage in that it is cross platform, gEDA only runs on Linux, but I think both programs will read each others format.

I want to do a new slave board. I am thinking of a small board of 10 x 10 cm, the largest size that ITead does. At $28 for 10 boards the price is very good. To get as many slaves as possible on a board, I am thinking of going for a SMT design. I am working on an unrelated project and want to try reflow soldering using a cheap toaster oven. If that project works out I will set my sights on a small multi-slave board.

The TellyMate cheat sheet is a good idea (Derek posted about this on the pb slave thread). I haven't been having very much luck with cheap 3.5 inch lcds and the SV2000 chip. The bottom of my display is a bit garbaged. I did send my master and display to Peter a while back for him to try on his setup and he confirmed my display was causing the problem. It seems the SV2000 and some of the cheap lcd displays don't play together nicely. The same display does work well with the Tellymate though, which seems to indicate that the Tellymate has a cleaner signal. I probably won't worry about it to much until the next version of the master is available.

On a side note, I have been looking recently at the Parallax Propeller. It is an interesting chip that runs 8 parallel cores (Parallax calls them cogs). Each cog can run an independent task. So one cog can look after cell voltage measurements, another the user interface, etc. Back to what got me started on the Propeller chip, built in video generator. :shock: Composite video and even VGA can be directly output by the chip, no Tellymate or SV2000 needed. I know Peter won't like the idea of a completely different chip for the master, after all we have only just got the hang of the pics. But there is a basic complier availible which may aid in porting existing code and some neat products as well. Have a look at the Spin Studio range of boards and the View Port software at this site http://ucontroller.com/index.html.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz

Return to “BMS thread”