Old BMS Hardware Thread

Threads relating to the BMS system begun by Peter Perkins

Moderators: GregsGarage, retepsnikrep

hohisilver

Re: Old BMS Hardware Thread

Postby hohisilver » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:24 pm

That Parallax chip does look very interesting :)

I see they do a free C Compiler too, so as and when I get the existing master software ported to C there would be an easy upgrade path (for me anyway). I don't know what the PBP serout/owout commands are doing, but most of the example C code I've found uses delay loops for timing which is an extremely inefficient use of the processor's time, so my first challenge is to get everything interrupt-driven. The nice thing about the Parallax is that you won't need to worry so much because you could easily run delay loops without affecting the other "cogs".
Ian.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

dillond666

Postby dillond666 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi Greg

The Propeller does look awesome. I reckon it'll be a wee while before I outgrow the picaxe though. I don't fancy learning a new language until I'm a Jedi master at BASIC and that could take forever :lol:
Love the idea of surface mount and "toaster technology". I reckon I'll have a play with surface mount in the future. Might make etching your own boards feasible too for one or two offs as there is less of the onerous drilling.
It seems the SV2000 and some of the cheap lcd displays don't play together nicely. The same display does work well with the Tellymate though, which seems to indicate that the Tellymate has a cleaner signal.

Maybe it's to do with the voltage levels? When I was buggering about with the Tellymate I scoped the video output whilst troubleshooting and got a 5v signal with a 1v peak to peak on top of it! That told me I had to add the 75R resistor to the output to sort the voltage level out. Perhaps you just need a little fine tuning of the resistors on the output so that you get a nice 1v peak to peak?

I did a very basic cheat sheet for Tellymate here http://www.dillond1.pwp.blueyonder.co.u ... ummies.odt
and here for the unfortunates who don't use Openoffice :lol: http://www.dillond1.pwp.blueyonder.co.u ... ummies.pdf
This page is handy too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437

Derek
Last edited by dillond666 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hohisilver

Postby hohisilver » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm using an old Casio pocket TV with a composite input which is no use for anything else since the analogue switch-off, and I'm probably going to be cannibalising it to mount in the dash of my scooter. My SV2000 arrived yesterday, and was pleased to find my master board works :) I put the 75R (actually 82R because that's all I had) resistor in temporarily, and got a pretty good display, but when I took it out the display went crazy so it appears it's certainly needed in my case.
Ian.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

steiner

Postby steiner » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:55 am

Peter,

On the master ver 2.0 board you have several locations for varistors. Do you have any specifics on the particular varistors that you used?

Thanks...
Rick

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:53 am

Details are in these threads and the parts list try some searches, i dont have the details to hand.

Glad to see a number of people are tinkering around now. More the merrier.

Derek i can't open the odt file can your convert it to a pdf or txt file please.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

hohisilver

Postby hohisilver » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:52 am

Peter, do you have a spec for the buzzer on the master board (and is it the same for the remote display)? Mine doesn't work (well it just makes a bit of a "click"), and as the link on the original post no longer works I just bought something I thought would do. I don't mind for the moment as I've been testing it with no slaves and there are alarms going off all over the place!
Ian.

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:18 am

hohisilver wrote:Peter, do you have a spec for the buzzer on the master board (and is it the same for the remote display)? Mine doesn't work (well it just makes a bit of a "click"), and as the link on the original post no longer works I just bought something I thought would do. I don't mind for the moment as I've been testing it with no slaves and there are alarms going off all over the place!

LOL Re Alarms going off.

Buzzer is same for both boards. Search is your friend on here ;)

I found the item number in one of my earlier posts searching using "piezo" and typed it into farnell. :)

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/produc ... tt=1022392

The piezo has it's own internal driver, we just supply it with some voltage that's why a plain piezo does not work.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

hohisilver

Postby hohisilver » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:39 am

Search is your friend on here ;)

Yeah sorry, I've used it quite a lot but I obviously didn't use the right search terms :roll:

Thanks for the link anyway, may have to wait until I've got enough to put in another Farnell order. I think I can live without a buzzer for now :D
Ian.

GregsGarage

A bit of progress

Postby GregsGarage » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Made some progress today on my Matiz conversion, got it moving on it's own power! :D :D The bad news is that the bms is suffering from interference from the controller on either the slave or master bus. :( Not panicking yet, the wiring is in a bit of a mess and I haven't earthed the shielding on my data bus cables. Will have a look at it next week and see if I can track down the problem.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:42 pm

It looks like my interference problem is on the master bus. To try and fix it I am going to try and running the master bus at 12 volts instead of 5 volts. Here's the plan. Disconnect the wire from J11 pin 1 and connect it to 12 volts. Now we have 12 volts on the master bus. Now to keep from frying the pic I will remove R27, disabling the led, change R34 to 22k and R8 to 10k. This is the same circuit shown on V3 of the master for connecting RS232 tx to the pic rx. The resistors reduce the current to a safe level that the internal diodes in the pic can handle. Any one see any flaws to this wacky plan? :lol:
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

Return to “BMS thread”