Old BMS General Thread

Threads relating to the BMS system begun by Peter Perkins

Moderators: GregsGarage, retepsnikrep

isaac_alaska1

Re: Old BMS General Thread

Postby isaac_alaska1 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 am

next step is to reconfigure the "interlocks" pin as an output to drive a digital pot in parallel with the throttle pot, so we can linearly taper the throttle back to zero throttle as the cells drop voltage.

retepsnikrep

Master V33

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:08 pm

This is for PBP3, Master Boards V2.00 fitted with the AT24C512B Eeprom or compatible.

It adds a few new features.

1) Audible alarm toggle, turns off the alarm buzzer if you want. (Sub Menu 1) This resets each time you start the BMS. Default is on. The alarm screen still appears, it just means you can ignore it and drive without the buzzer annoying you if you want.

2) Max Temp, MaxPackV, MinPackV now display the trigger value in the Alarm screen.

Before it was "Pack > Max Temp" now it is "Pack > 47C" or whatever your constant is.

Max Pack Temp constant is set at 47C in this version.

I'm off to France in July in the car and I don't want the buzzer going off for two weeks and be unable to charge it!!!
Attachments
MASTER_V33_310312_185V_PB3.zip
(16.39 KiB) Downloaded 1513 times
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

danmachen

Postby danmachen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 pm

GregsGarage wrote:Got this PM from Issac.

isaac_alaska1 wrote:hey, i'm ordering up a bunch of components to build up a couple of master boards. the EEprom that's listed in the parts list i have is now obsolete, and i'm not positive what i should replace it with. the part number listed is AT24C512B-PU25. what constraints do i have to keep in mind when replacing it with something else? obviously the leg spacing and layout needs to be the same, and i would think that the memory size needs to be the same, and probably the speed and memory layout. is there anything else that i need to make sure matches up before i replace it?

-isaac

This would be more of Peter's area I think. Any thoughts Peter?

Not sure if Peter answered this one, but we replaced ours with the Microchip 24LC512-E/P as Peter suggested to us!

EDIT: Please post answers to the Master Board Version 2 topic.

danmachen

Postby danmachen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Also, does anyone know of decent software (hopefully free) :wink: for drawing schematics? Trying to keep on top of any changes we make and it would also be useful for other circuits our team is using for our electric car. Thanks

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:01 am

danmachen wrote:Also, does anyone know of decent software (hopefully free) :wink: for drawing schematics?
Eagle is widely used in the 'open source' community :)

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/freeware/?language=en
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:02 am

Kicad is a popular open source program that doesn't suffer from the restrictions that the free version of eagle does. That's what I am using now.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

isaac_alaska1

Postby isaac_alaska1 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:40 am

i have a professional version of eagle, if anyone needs it

danmachen

Postby danmachen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Isaac, how are the Xbees coming along? Have you tried using these yet. You'll probably need a MAX232 as well if you want to connect it to the PC for data logging.

isaac_alaska1

Postby isaac_alaska1 » Sat May 19, 2012 12:24 pm

I haven't had a chance to mess with them yet, sadly. i've been busy with another competition and finishing school, and now i'm up in greenland with the machine. i'll probably start working with those as soon as next semester starts, as i have a bunch of other modifications i want to do to the machine as well.

i just dropped the machine off at summit station, and i'm back in kangerlussuaq with no way to get to the machine myself. it's been there for 3 days now, and they've put 7.5 miles on the machine since i left. the temp during the day is about -20F and drops to around -36F at night.

the mechanic sent me this picture this morning and i was hoping someone might have an explanation. i've never seen it do anything quite like this before.

he didn't mention that any alarms were going off, or that the screen was doing anything else out of the ordinary (like flashing a fault code) so i'm thinking that maybe the number of cells was somehow reset to zero. i sent him instructions on how to reset the number of cells, as well as asked for more information about exactly what is being displayed and what the four LED's are indicating.

i'm sending him two new PICs, one of them is a copy of what is already in the machine and the second one is the older pic (16F886) with the other code on it.

any other ideas of what might cause this?
Attachments
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG (132.87 KiB) Viewed 32894 times

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Sun May 20, 2012 8:40 am

My guess would be you have no communications to the slaves due to Vol 0.0, hiV of 1.75 and loV of 4.30. These are the values you get at the start of the cell reading loop, no data means they don't get changed. Try sending code 7 to the slaves, this should cause them to flash their load leds. Also check all your slave connections.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

Return to “BMS thread”