Building a single seater electric car...

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
MB

Building a single seater electric car...

Postby MB » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:57 am

I fancy building myself a single seater solar-electric car. I want something that will be lightweight, road legal and have reasonable performance.

I'm thinking of something along the lines as the Venturi Astrolab sports car (http://www.venturi.fr/electric-vehicule ... ncept.html)

Trouble is, I've built chassis along with braking and suspension systems before and I know it is something I'm completely useless at. What I'd like to do is start with a rolling chassis from something like an old single-seat racing car as a basis and then build the car up from there.

I've got a couple of 2kW AC stepper motors I can use, which should give me reasonable performance. I'm in two minds whether to build the car to use both electric motors driving the rear wheels directly or whether to use one motor and drive it through an existing differential.

Is this a silly idea that should be killed off now? Any thoughts as to the best drivetrain?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Now our man Brian Hampton is the bloke to speak to as hes built a solar racer that he entered into the Oz solar challenge some years back, might be a good place to start ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:03 pm

Not a silly idea at all You're not the only one thinking down these lines though the Solar power may be stretchng it a bit.

Brian is indeed experienced with this I've seen his Solar machine which is pretty neat. Watch this sapce though 'cos I think you'll find some possible soloutions comming

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”