Electric vehicles on Top Gear this Sunday

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
MB

Electric vehicles on Top Gear this Sunday

Postby MB » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:22 am

I have been involved in filming for the Top Gear Christmas Special, which is being aired on Sunday 23rd December at 8pm on BBC2 and repeated at midnight on Christmas day.

There is a feature on electric cars which is going to be aired to eight million petrol-heads. Whilst it wouldn't be Top Gear without them taking the pee out of my poor old G-Wiz, I think it will actually be a good showcase for what electric vehicles are capable of.

Watch it if you dare...

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:12 pm

Good luck Mike, I was asked to go on it too with the Zest but declined.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up Mike.

Whilst as you say TG will have taken the mick out of it in a big way I suspect, as long as you have got the main details of the fact we get free road tax 8) and its costs naff all to charge up I recon you'll get a lot of interest.
Certainly I get plenty of milk float remarks when I say I have an EV but so far EVERYONE whos been out in my Blingo have been impressed and when I'm getting +300 miles compared to their pathetic 40-50miles for their 5 quids worth of petrol or deisel they soon start to cry :lol:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:18 am

Looking forward to it. They're bound to take the pi55 but that's what makes entertaining viewing. Here's hoping folk do their own detective work and anyone interested has a quick shifty on the net for EVs.

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

retepsnikrep

Filming

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:30 am

Interesting, a woman from some production company rang me up a couple of months ago and tried to persuade me to bring my van down to some filming down south! I never thought it might be Top Gear, so after several discussions re expenses and dates it got binned. I could not get time off on date they wanted anyway :( And it a bloody long way from North Yorks. Would have been fun to see JC wrecking my van :( James could have driven it though :)
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:34 am

Hi Peter,

No, that was for Car of the Year. They wanted me to take part in the El and then binned the EVs in favour of biofuel!

Grrrrr.

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

MB

Postby MB » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:20 pm

Well, just a reminder for everyone to tune in to Top Gear on Sunday evening - BBC2 at 8pm, repeated again on Christmas Day at midnight.

Remember it's Top Gear - don't take it too seriously - but here is a link to prove that the Top Gear team are going green this Christmas:

http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1695142214

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:06 pm

MikeBoxwell wrote:Well, just a reminder for everyone to tune in to Top Gear on Sunday evening - BBC2 at 8pm, repeated again on Christmas Day at midnight.

Remember it's Top Gear - don't take it too seriously - but here is a link to prove that the Top Gear team are going green this Christmas:

http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1695142214

ROFLOL That was superb! Well worth the wait for it to load :lol:

MB

Postby MB » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:49 pm

qdos wrote:Good luck Mike, I was asked to go on it too with the Zest but declined.

It was a shame you declined. Top Gear has a massive viewership and you would have got a significant amount of enquiries and interest from having one of your cars on the show.

Next time they ask to borrow a car - bite their arm off.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm sorry, but on what planet was tonight's Top Gear GOOD publicity for electric vehicles?

I'm furious that the BBC have yet again ignored the Tesla, the Lightning and many other really decent EVs in preference to perpetuating the stereotype of an EV being no good unless it's being destroyed or t*atted about with.

There was NOTHING in that which would make anyone go out and buy a GWiz or in fact any EV. What saddens me more is that in a year of motoring journalism the closest the BBC has got to dealing with the Tesla is a short news story, a slot on BBC 24's 'CLICK' Programme and a few mentions on Radio 4. Yeah, prime time viewers then.

Come on, folks.

Sorry.But I'm really angry about this one. If Top Gear ever ask to borrow my car they can go take a long walk off a short pier unless they actually want to do something positive with my car.

I know Top Gear is a light-hearted programme, but as I've found this year there are many many people who take Clarkson's journalism et all as gospel. They range from little kids (the ones we really need to show EVs to as being cool) and those who, given some positive media exposure may just actually give EVs a try.

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”