Electric vehicles on Top Gear this Sunday

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
ChrisBarron

Postby ChrisBarron » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:57 pm

Tesla's fag packet wrote:Well for what it's worth i think it is a pate' starter for the main course which is them eating there hats.

Surly EV's are going to be un ignorable in the next couple of years and this is the start of them back peddling without being seen to do so.

Remember last series when we....... now here is the new lightning

I don't think that they can lose, because as long as the press aren't showing anything which contradicts what they say who of the uninformed is to say they are not showing the whole picture. As soon as a car comes along which they can do what they want to do , which is to race it on the street, they will give it a lot of publicity.

I don't agree with it at all, but this is the nature of the publciity game, adn like you say we know EV's are coming in a the next year or two which will force lots of people to have to change their paradigms.

What would be good would be to see a few of these get built
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0SB5psrVCM

Chris

MB

Postby MB » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:38 pm

As soon as we see a high performance electric car for sale to the general public in the UK, Top Gear are going to be getting their hands on it. Whether it is the Tesla or the Lightning or something else... we'll have to wait and see.

With regards to that souped up G-Wiz, it was built with four 27kW Lynch motors belt driving the rear axle. It used seven 12v batteries giving 84v. The biggest problem was the batteries not wanting to give enough amps, which delayed filming quite considerably.

There were some problems with the solonoids used to build the remote control system as well which meant the front steering had to be bodged using a bit of metal pipe and some ingenuity. No consideration was given to tracking, which might explain the haphazarfd handling characteristics! Well, that and the fact that the car was driven straight into the crash barriers, of course!

ChrisBarron

Postby ChrisBarron » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:26 am

MikeBoxwell wrote:As soon as we see a high performance electric car for sale to the general public in the UK, Top Gear are going to be getting their hands on it. Whether it is the Tesla or the Lightning or something else... we'll have to wait and see.

The seminal moment mightl come when someone receives a driving ban for exceeding the motorway speed limit in an electric car, or something close to it at least.... sad though that will be

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:57 pm

MikeBoxwell wrote:With regards to that souped up G-Wiz, it was built with four 27kW Lynch motors belt driving the rear axle. It used seven 12v batteries giving 84v. The biggest problem was the batteries not wanting to give enough amps, which delayed filming quite considerably.

There were some problems with the solonoids used to build the remote control system as well which meant the front steering had to be bodged using a bit of metal pipe and some ingenuity. No consideration was given to tracking, which might explain the haphazarfd handling characteristics! Well, that and the fact that the car was driven straight into the crash barriers, of course!

Mmmmm standard bodge then, mind you sticking 4 lynches in it would make it shift :shock: no wonder they where struggling on battery output that lot would want to suck up a hell of a pile of amps, my twin 20kw set up on the feista would happliy gobble 600amps without any effort at all double that and some and its no wonder they suffered problems :roll:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

bradbunyard

The Spec for the Gwiz as filmed

Postby bradbunyard » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:57 am

Hey
4 x 200D127R Motors Two per wheel
4 x Alltrax 7245 Controllers (84V MOD)
7 x PC2250 Odyssey battery

We started with an MK gel pack but is was not up to the job at all (low temp discharge was poor we only got 350 amps out)
I have some pics of the build and inside of the car if someone tells me how to upload them.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:28 am

Best way is to either host them on photobucket or image cave and then insert them in to the post using the [img] tag.

If your not sure what the hell I'm on about drop me a PM and I'll either talk you through it or host them for you :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:34 am

Failing that if you email them to me and do some words about the build I'll do an article for Plugged In it would be great to have it in there!

PM me if you need contact details

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”