My EV dream

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:06 am

Hi Andy,
I see you are looking for an EV for your wife with very similar specifications to what we are also looking for. We need a 4 seater as we will be looking after 2 small grandchildren on a regular basis from the middle of next year. We have been waiting (for over a year) for the many times delayed arrival of the 4 seater Microcar Zenn to the UK but no date yet announced! If you come across anything else that sounds suitable we will be very interested.

Hi Qdos,
Noticed that you will be at the Exeter Kit Car Show on 17th and 18th Nov.
We also hope to be there on one of those days providing the weather is not too horrendous! We have a JBA Falcon that Colin built a few years back but it has a V8 engine!! Not exactly environmentally friendly but only used now and then. As we have said before have been looking for a suitable EV for everyday local use as we already generate our own electricity.

Jan

andylaurence

Postby andylaurence » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:31 am

clnbrtltt wrote:Hi Andy,
I see you are looking for an EV for your wife with very similar specifications to what we are also looking for. We need a 4 seater as we will be looking after 2 small grandchildren on a regular basis from the middle of next year. We have been waiting (for over a year) for the many times delayed arrival of the 4 seater Microcar Zenn to the UK but no date yet announced! If you come across anything else that sounds suitable we will be very interested.

Jan

The only options I've seen are the PSA cars (Berlingo and 106), the RAV4, or a PHEV conversion of a Prius. The RAV4 is a little hard to come by, and the 106 is too small. I like the idea of a PHEV Prius conversion. Most of my wife's journeys are short enough not to have to start the engine, yet she doesn't have to worry about going a little too far. The Prius is also very cheap to buy, starting at around £4000 for an early model. The only prices I've seen for the conversion are £7700 +VAT. Once you've added a reasonable Prius, you're looking at the thick end of £20000 for a used car!

Cheers,
Andy

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:55 pm

clnbrtltt wrote:Hi Qdos,
Noticed that you will be at the Exeter Kit Car Show on 17th and 18th Nov.
We also hope to be there on one of those days providing the weather is not too horrendous! We have a JBA Falcon that Colin built a few years back but it has a V8 engine!! Not exactly environmentally friendly but only used now and then. As we have said before have been looking for a suitable EV for everyday local use as we already generate our own electricity.

Jan

Ya whimps :roll: Last year I drove from Paris to Exeter in the pouring rain with no roof no doors no windscreen and no heater to display the first ever customer's Zest hot from the production line at the show.

The Falcon is a lovely car I first built a Spartan when I was 17 and was tempted to do a Falcon only it was too similar to my Spartan so there wasn't much point and I bought a Lotus Excel instead (BIG MISTAKE) I've currently got a Ginetta G27 and that just sits neglected but it keeps me content that I've got a real sports car at home when I see some exotica on the roads. But we'll have the rolling chassis on show of our new "Project Qdos" Sports EV machine we're building. So be sure to come and have a chat!

We've got 3 stands in all, the entrance foyer where hopefully we'll have an insane 2CV racer on show and a double stand in the main hall. I've forgotten the stand number at the moment but I'm sure you'll find us the Zest is pretty unique.

If anyone hasn't got a copy of Plugged In then you can ask for one on the stand.

Lazer

Postby Lazer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:57 pm

andylaurence wrote:
Interesting. I've heard of a couple of others. There's the Furore, which uses MR2 running gear.

Cheers,
Andy

I had in mind another design - the Edge Devil, but after seeing the Furore this looks like another option to look into - I especially like the 1 + 1 set-up.
Rob.

andylaurence

Postby andylaurence » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:36 am

Lazer wrote:
andylaurence wrote:
Interesting. I've heard of a couple of others. There's the Furore, which uses MR2 running gear.

Cheers,
Andy

I had in mind another design - the Edge Devil, but after seeing the Furore this looks like another option to look into - I especially like the 1 + 1 set-up.

Ahhh, the Edge Devil was the one I was thinking of. The Furore looks better (in my opinion), and has two seats. The body panels are not available for the Furore yet (last I heard), but should be ready by the time you've got to a rolling chassis stage.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”