Energy consumption figures

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
MalcolmB

Energy consumption figures

Postby MalcolmB » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:31 am

Reading the "Return of the Electrathon" article in the excellent Plugged In magazine, I was interested in the range of energy consumption figures for the various vehicles that did the lap circuits. Thought it might be useful if we could record our Wh/mile figures in one place. It would obviously help with comparison if we could give some information about the driving conditions, average speed, weight of vehicle and whether power is measured at the charger socket or onboard the vehicle. Anyone interested?
I don't have a power socket watt meter yet, so can anyone give me an idea of the average charging efficiency?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:49 pm

Good idea Malcolm, can only really tell you that my Berlingo returns about 20kwh recharge for around 60miles of range.

That relatively flat terrain with average speed of I'd say 40mph-45mph I'd recon, but to be honest I've never REALLY taken any real hardcore measurements :oops:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Re: Energy consumption figures

Postby qdos » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:19 pm

MalcolmB wrote:I don't have a power socket watt meter yet, so can anyone give me an idea of the average charging efficiency?

Aldi were recently selling them for £6.99 I forgot to show Chris the one I bought When I was at Goodwood the other week Sorry Chris

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:23 pm

Dam would have liked to have seen that and compared it to mine.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:32 pm

ChrisB wrote:Dam would have liked to have seen that and compared it to mine.

ChrisB

Yeah, sorry about that I specifically made sure I put it in the car to show you too. I did consider buying a few too as I'm sure some of the other members of the Society would like to have one or more.

If you're lucky you may find some still at your local Aldi as they do tend to loiter a while if they are not immediately obvious to people what you use them for

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:40 pm

Started this and then sort of forgot about it. Still think it would be useful to record Wh/mile figures here. Even if we can't quote figures at a fixed speed or under directly comparable conditions, they could be useful for giving an idea of real-life battery requirements.

Etek-powered motorbike:

Weight including me: 200 kg
Conditions: Running around town, average speed low 20s, top speed 50 mph.
Measured: onboard
Energy consumption: 80 Wh/mile

Alan Ward

Postby Alan Ward » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:06 am

With the 1989 Ford Fiesta which ChrisB kindly sold me, the average energy figures for 20,000 miles are as follows. With 30 of TS 200 Ah cells and a pair of Lynch motors, the car with my wife and myself in it weights about a ton. Most driving is in hilly country, with a lot of 10% gradient hills. At age 83 I do not drive fast.

average 208 driving watt-hour per mile

average Zivan recharge energy 221 watt-hour per mile

Driving up these 10% hills every day, figures are

normally gear 3 at maximum: 135 amps, 102 volts, 25 degC, 34 mph

occasionally gear 4 (not maxm) 200 amps 97 volts, 39 mph.

Thank you Chris for a wonderful car conversion which has given us enormous pleasure. The range is down to about 80 miles because 3 cells are now feeling their age (like us!) Alan & Honor Ward

bobc

Postby bobc » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:35 pm

interesting,
the top greenpower cars do 22Wh/mile at (say) 27mph average.
approx.

Alan Ward

Postby Alan Ward » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Thanks for several replies to my energy figures; especial thanks for the accurate gradient of the two hills, measured at 7 per cent, not the 10 per cent I had quoted from hearsay. 7 percent makes much better sense of my volts, amps, and KW power figures, so thank you. Alan Ward

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”