Am I being too hopeful about insurance cost? (CT&T E-range van)

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
Funkster

Am I being too hopeful about insurance cost? (CT&T E-range van)

Postby Funkster » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:31 am

Hi folks!

I have the option to acquire a CT&T E-range van with a fault for the right money, as a hobby project and a way to learn some more about electric vehicles. However I'm struggling to find insurance at a price that makes it viable as a hobby - the only people who have quoted so far are Adrian Flux, at £575. Twice the price of the insurance on my daily driver, for a vehicle with ~8KW and that'll do less than 1000 miles a year.

Am I being unreasonable? It doesn't seem to be a particularly big risk to me, but I guess the underwriters are still finding their feet with EVs, and it being a strange Korean import doesn't help either.

Any advice gratefully recieved!

Thanks,
--
Olly

Grumpy-b

Re: Am I being too hopeful about insurance cost? (CT&T E-range van)

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:32 am

With a vehicle like this, the insurers are taking a high risk with any damage, as with virtually no spares being available, the vehicle would be written off.
Not desperately fair, but thats insurance. Try negotiating a third party only insurance. If its considered a van ie commercial vehicle that will influence costs as well. Tyr your local branceh of the NFU, they do insure all sort of EVs at reasonabl;e costs.

Funkster

Re: Am I being too hopeful about insurance cost? (CT&T E-range van)

Postby Funkster » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:40 am

Ah, yes I hadn't throught about likelihood of write-off. I will indeed ask about 3rd party only. Also I hadn't the foggiest that the NFU might cover EVs!

Thank you :)
--
Olly

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”