Q Electric Milk Float - Any Information Please!

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
travellingstudio

Q Electric Milk Float - Any Information Please!

Postby travellingstudio » Sat May 09, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi all,

I posted a few months ago about advice for buying a milk float to do a music tour this summer. I bought a different milk float in the end, a Q Electric (model QEV 70A) from CBL in Oxfordshire. I wondered if anyone knows anything about theses vehicles? Unfortunately it came without a manual and I'm having some trouble working out how the speedometer works. I've asked CBL but they weren't sure and I've been unable to find any information on the internet.

The vehicle was only delivered a few days ago and the batteries haven't been in use for the last 6 months, and at the moment I don't know if they're going to be good enough for my trip. I've done a couple of 4 mile trips, and the speedo reads almost full at the start and has dropped to 3 by the end of 4 miles (on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being fully charged). I'm not sure if the speedo is inaccurate (it goes back to 9 again when I switch off and back on). CBL said it could take a while for the batteries to get up to charge again, but as I leave in 3 weeks and am due to be doing 30 miles per day for 3 months I'm really quite worried they aren't going to do the job.

Any advice gratefully received!

Paul

Grumpy-b

Re: Q Electric Milk Float - Any Information Please!

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon May 11, 2015 7:41 am

More information please.
What is the
Motor
Controller,
Battery pack
Charger
Photos if you cant see any markings.

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:08 pm

I visited Paul yesterday and mercifully found the batteries to be in good condition. There are two Zivan chargers recently fitted. The main issue is the OEM display which is a Curtis enGage IV this went from full to 1 bar in 8 miles the batteries dropped only a volt. There seems to be a password to set up the display.

The battery is the usual 72v Crompton Lead acid setup in 2 boxes.
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

travellingstudio

Postby travellingstudio » Tue May 12, 2015 9:46 am

Thanks for your visit on Sunday Rory, and for providing this information for others to read. Here's a link to Curtis Instruments, who make the control panel:

http://curtisinstruments.com/index.cfm? ... product/71

3 possible causes that the manual lists for the battery meter emptying too soon are listed as follows:

Range Select V+ connected to
wrong terminal.
Instrument voltage does not match
battery voltage.
Terminals not connected directly to battery.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue May 12, 2015 2:09 pm

Is the engage being used as a stand alone device or is it connected to a curtis motor controller. How is the vehicle performing when the engage is suggesting you are low of power.
Is every cell performing as it should?
Access the battery terminals, jack the vehicle drive axle up, run the vehicle and check each cell under some load.

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:Is the engage being used as a stand alone device or is it connected to a curtis motor controller. How is the vehicle performing when the engage is suggesting you are low of power.
Is every cell performing as it should?
Access the battery terminals, jack the vehicle drive axle up, run the vehicle and check each cell under some load.

Unfortunately the access to the cells is difficult due to them being insulated all over. There is no perceptible loss off performance when the engage says battery flat. We ordered a panel voltmeter so when that is fitted the battery volts under load can be monitored.
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun May 17, 2015 4:21 pm

What is the controller. How have you judged the battery pack to be good. What load have you tried it under, and if you cant access the cells, how can you be certain they are ok.
What does the vehicle actually do when the gauge says its getting empty. Does the vehicle cut back or just keep going. If the latter how far can it be driven before it starts to malfunction. Find a simple 2 mile round trip and just keep going until it starts to diminish in performance. Then you only have a mile max to tow it home. What is the system Voltage, at rest. After fully charged. and after resting ten minutes after each 2 mile run. Log all that and you will start to see just how good it is. WHat did the sellers tell you about it and its condition.
If you cant access the pack, I really dont see how you can say its good.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”