Converting a vw t2 on a bugdet

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
Julesw

Converting a vw t2 on a bugdet

Postby Julesw » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:47 am

Hi
I have a vw t2 that I want to convert to electric. At first I thought I would buy a coversion kit, the rebbl looks good but prehaps out of my price range. It seem that in the usa people seem to put there own kits together using forklift motors more so than the UK, so it got me thinking could it be done on a budget. I have looking at batteries and agm batteries look a good compromise for the price.

I just wondered if any one has done this , I guess they have, and where would I start? And what sort of motor could I use? I was thinking of going for 96 volts and was wondering if say some of the 48volt milk float motors would take more voltage. I am looking for a speed of around 50/60 mph and a range of about 60 miles to get started, I don't know if this is realistic on a budget. Once I got the van up and runing I would like to devlop it further over time. All ideas greatfully received

Many thanks Jules.

Grumpy-b

Re: Converting a vw t2 on a bugdet

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:17 am

Whatever you do is going to be costly.
Its just as expensive to buy or make the adaptor for an old 48v brushed DC motor, as it is to make one for a modern AC motor. The cabling is just as expensive.
Using a modern EV designed motor, is more relable, has a better power range more suited for road vehicles. Using AC has no brushes to worry about,and is to all intents maintenance free (as near as you can get)
Any form of lead is not a cheap alternative, to get the current draw for a large vehicle you would need more ah capacity that lifepo4, it would need replacing every few years, is heavy and the cheaper traction batteries need watering as well.
You have to consider what budget you want to go for. Realistically New is going to cost £8to10K. But a lifepo4 pack should have 2000 full range recharge cycle life. So you are likely to have three to five lead packs in that life at considerably higher cost.

Grumpy-b

Rory166

Re: Converting a vw t2 on a bugdet

Postby Rory166 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:45 pm

To answer your question, yes you can use more volts on a 48v milk float motor, I have done it.

I second what Grumpy says AGM bateries are a waste of money. I have a car with them and it is useless. The sort of range and speed you desire is likely unachievable on a tight budget. You could easily spend more on a conversion than the secondhand price of a modern EV which will outperform it massively.
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”