Sighting of BYD E6 at Pease Pottage Services

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
Rory166

Sighting of BYD E6 at Pease Pottage Services

Postby Rory166 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Today I saw this vehicle charging on a 43 KVA renault style AC lead. Looking it up I think it is an E6 which apparently has a 60KWh battery and range of 200 miles. It was a london Private Hire Vehicle. Quite a big car which the picture does not show, Further research has revealed that the initial deal for 50 private hire vehicles in London collapsed in February and another company will take the 20 already destined for UK. The car in the article I found has the same reg as the one I saw, is it the only one in the UK?

Rory

mysterycar2.jpg
mysterycar2.jpg (180.13 KiB) Viewed 30765 times

mysterycar.jpg
mysterycar.jpg (187.75 KiB) Viewed 30765 times
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

Grumpy-b

Re: Sighting of BYD E6 at Pease Pottage Services

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:55 pm

I had a drive in one last year, despite the size they do drive really well, and supposedly will do around 160 miles on a charge.
20 of the cars ahve been taken on by a private hire chaufeur company Thriev.
BYD see the market in Europe for these vehicles as Taxis. A lot of them are already doing that job in china.
BYD are an interesting company, who are now trying to sell ELectric Buses, of which London Transport have a couple on demo at the moment. BYD have even set up a new US company to build them there. This is no doubt aided by the fact that Warren Buffets Berrkshire Hataway investment company have a sizeable investment in BYD.
They make a number of cars, many of which are direct rip offs of Japanese cars such as the
Aygo/ Citroen C1, and the Toyota IQ. The comment I got when I asked about this was, "any how did Toyota get started" yes they did copy UK Austin7s in the 1930, but the World motor industry has moved on since then, but aparently not in China.

Grumpy-b

Rory166

Re: Sighting of BYD E6 at Pease Pottage Services

Postby Rory166 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:44 pm

Yes this is a thriev vehicle presumably about to pick up from Gatwick when charge completed. Not sure how much charge power it can take from the three phase lead.

Do you know how to contact the BYD, cannot find out on the internet?

Rory
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”