Any advice on ev insurance

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
glyndwr1998

Any advice on ev insurance

Postby glyndwr1998 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi,

I was seriously considering the purchase of an ev this year, I have a prius with a plug in hybrid kit fitted at the moment.

Whilst doing some research over the last week, noticed the insurance groupings fro ev,s.

I noticed the leaf was a group 21, and a I miev a group 22. I'm really shocked that these cars are such a high grouping, especially the miev.

I was hoping to buy one and insure my son drive it after he passes his test, but at those insurance groupings I think the costs would be unaffordable.

Has anyone got and contacts, or advice on insurance companies that offer reasonably priced cover on ev,s.

Thanks, anthony.

Grumpy-b

Re: Any advice on ev insurance

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Many are covered by normal insurance companies, Co op was great for my Berlingo,Electrique it was on their vehicle list so available on line but they wouldnt do any form of modified vehicle, hence I moved when I insured by Electrique Multispace. Try the NFU, I used them for a few years a number of my customers have moved to them. Generally decent people to deal with.

Grumpy-b

glyndwr1998

Postby glyndwr1998 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:34 am

Grumpy-b wrote:Many are covered by normal insurance companies, Co op was great for my Berlingo,Electrique it was on their vehicle list so available on line but they wouldnt do any form of modified vehicle, hence I moved when I insured by Electrique Multispace. Try the NFU, I used them for a few years a number of my customers have moved to them. Generally decent people to deal with.

Grumpy-b

Thanks grumps

skooler

Postby skooler » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:31 am

My RX8 is insured though Adrian Flux, not cheap at £800 but that comes with being young and driving a 'modified' car.

definitely worth calling them.
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:31 pm

glyndwr1998 wrote:Has anyone got and contacts, or advice on insurance companies that offer reasonably priced cover on ev,s.
I've used both First Point and Insurance Tailors for my Tesla Roadster. Quotes vary widely year on year so shop around and haggle :D
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

glyndwr1998

Postby glyndwr1998 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:06 am

Thanks for the comments and advice, I,m hopeful that I can find a competitive quotation when I do actually take the plunge and buy the ev.

Cheers.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”