My driveway is getting busy...

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
MB

My driveway is getting busy...

Postby MB » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:28 am

This is a photograph of my driveway earlier this week:

020.jpg
A trio of electric cars
020.jpg (190.87 KiB) Viewed 35317 times

Yup, a trio of electric cars: a Mitsubishi i MiEV, a Tata Indica and a G-Wiz.

The Mitsubishi was on a week loan. It's a press vehicle and I had it in order to update my range tests for my Mitsubishi i MiEV book. The 2011 model is a big improvement on last years model, with improved performance, battery management, improved sound proofing and interior trim tweaks. Last years car was good: this years model is superb.

I've just posted up a review of the car on Blip.TV: http://theelectriccarguide.blip.tv

The Tata Indica is a pre-production prototype that I'll be using for the next twelve months as our daily car. The farthest I've driven in a single day is 110 miles. It's a good little car - bigger than the Mitsubishi, with a more solid feel and better ride and handling, but with weaker performance (although it can still cruise at a steady 70mph).

Funnily enough though, after moving all the cars around I came to one inescapable conclusion. That little G-Wiz may be the quirkiest and most impractical of the three cars... but it is still the most fun to drive.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

timpootle

Re: My driveway is getting busy...

Postby timpootle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:14 am

This is really good to see, Mike. Viable production EVs :-) The future may have arrived after all.
Tim Crumpton

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:06 pm

MB wrote:This is a photograph of my driveway earlier this week:

Thats just being greedy :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

subevo

Postby subevo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:01 pm

i had a look at your link for blip tv.
its very good.
one gripe is that you never mentioned how much the car cost.or how long it would take to pay for itself against an ordinary car.or what its electric competitors are .or a look under the bonnet.servicing costs.battery lease or not.lifespan of battery.

personally on looks alone i would not buy this car.
otherwise well done.

MB

Postby MB » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I don't mention how much the car costs because the price is likely to change considerably over the next couple of years. Payback is also likely to fluctuate considerably based on the cost of fuel.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:33 pm

MB wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I don't mention how much the car costs because the price is likely to change considerably over the next couple of years. Payback is also likely to fluctuate considerably based on the cost of fuel.

Trouble is this is ALWAYS one of the first four questions I get asked, even with my old Berlingo, and as you've seen here what others ask too.

Classic questions I recon I get asked once they realise its electric........

1) How far does it go
2) How fast does it go
3) How much does it cost to buy
4) How much does it cost to fill up with electric

Although 2,3,4 tend to move about a bit, just because the price may change and the payback may change over the years shouldnt stop figures being put in now, if you dont people think your hiding the real details away or think your doing it because its hugely expensive.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Surely in the Blingo's case a simple graph can be drawn up which compares initial cost then cost over miles.
The electric Blingo can be easily referenced by gasoline and diesel versions over similar age/miles.

Would make a good display.... Then you can add what its like to drive and own as a clincher.

Andy

djmidg

Postby djmidg » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:52 pm

I do like the look of the iMev, I live north of Manchester (Horwich) and keep hassling the management at the Salford Peugeot dealership as to when the Pug version will be on sale. As with many other people, I think the £400 per month leasehire is just, unfortunately, just a bit too expensive- I hope TAta undercut this. However I am really keen to see how it performs on my 35 mile return commute ( on the motorway).
More out of curiosity really.

Looking at your driveway, I'm actually quite envious!
I don't have driveway and Bolton Council are not keen with me installing a charge point on my garden wall - backing onto a ginnel. I offered to pay for all licences etc, but they class the ginned as an 'adopted highway' which can't be blocked by unattended vehicles.

My boss has refused to provide a plug socket at work - despite me offering to pay for installation and to set up a debit for the electricity. Short sighted or what !!!!

What's the charge time for the Tata? I'd sit in Costa coffee for 30 mins everyday to take advantage of thir charge point !! :lol:

Has Tata or Mitsubishi thought about investing in local charging points ? I can't see the ev phenomena taking off ona national scale without this. (Yes, the usual arguments...).

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 am

Nissan seems to be doing it's bit for charging points. Which way does your commute take you? North to Preston or south to Manchester?
Tim Crumpton

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:55 am

Councils keep on talking about having charge points fitted but they never appear.
There are a few sites around, seen this?
http://www.ev-network.org.uk/Default.aspx?pageId=524100

I'm considering smth smaller than a full ev. Would a small nippy e-trike/microcar fit under a roof in your land?
This is what I'm thinking of making with Lithium and a more slippery enveloping body:
http://www.mevltd.co.uk/etrike.htm

150Kg's with lead cells. A lithium pack would be a game changer.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”