Wilson electric car (and others made in Leicestershire)

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
William Presland

Wilson electric car (and others made in Leicestershire)

Postby William Presland » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Dear Forum members,

This is a bit of a strange request, and I’m not sure where to put this so mods, please move if appropriate.

I am trying to find out some more information, photos and hopefully see a Partridge Wilson electric car (or indeed, any of the Leicestershire built cars)

I work for an organisation called Prospect Leicestershire, and we work to promote the area as a location for Businesses. If we can get them to relocate to or start here, they will create jobs for the local economy. The work we do is free to the companies. But I digress…

I am preparing a report on the “future fuel vehicle” industry, highlighting what we had, and what we have got to attract manufacturing into Leicestershire.

On studying the area I was amazed to find that Leicester had so many electric vehicle manufacturers- some others I have heard of are Harbuilt, Brush with their “pony”, and the Partridge Wilson. I have found a b&w photo on this forum, but I would like to contact the owner to ask permission to use photos of their car, plus any information on it. So can the person contact me please

Also, I would be very keen to hear/see any other electric, hydrogen (basically, not petrol or diesel!) fuelled vehicles which have been made in Leicestershire. I’m pretty sure we have a big future, and I would like to reflect the past.

All help appreciated

Kind regards

William Presland
Prospect Leicestershire
0116 225 4082

William Presland

Re: Wilson electric car (and others made in Leicestershire)

Postby William Presland » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:45 am

Nobody? I am very keen to contact the owner for some more information and images

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Hello William

Sorry for lack-of-response. Can you post a link to the photo you found on this site? Most of the BVS members who might be able to answer your queries are off-internet, but an email to editor@batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk will get a letter in our print magazine, 'Battery Vehicle Review'.

Hope that helps.
Tim Crumpton

William Presland

Postby William Presland » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks for the response. The thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1678&start=0

From December 2010. Thanks for the tip, I will e-mail the editor

Thanks in advance

dargles

Postby dargles » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:01 pm

William Presland wrote:Dear Forum members,
This is a bit of a strange request...
...On studying the area I was amazed to find that Leicester had so many electric vehicle manufacturers- some others I have heard of are Harbuilt, Brush with their “pony”, and the Partridge Wilson. I have found a b&w photo on this forum, but I would like to contact the owner to ask permission to use photos of their car, plus any information on it. So can the person contact me please...

Hi, William.
Oops - sorry, I missed this. The thread is mine, but I'm not a Partridge-Wilson owner, although I wish I was... 8) . Maybe I can help a little though. Firstly, some info about Leicester and electric vehicles in particular. There is an excellent little booklet, "Electric Vehicles", by George Georgano. This has a mention of the Partridge Wilson in particular, and and of Leicester's place in the world of the electric vehicle in general. Another book is "Battery Electric Vehicles", by SM Hills. This also mentions the Partridge Wilson, and again mentions Leicester's place in electric vehicle production. A final book which mentions the Partridge Wilson is "Cars of the 1930s" by Michael Sedgwick. The easiest of these to get hold of is the Georgano book; the other two have been out of print for decades now. But a careful search online should yield some info.

With regard to the vehicles themselves, there are three that I know about. There is a Partridge Wilson tourer. This appears to be a one-off with a fascinating history. It is owned by someone in Devon; he has been known to show it at Buckfastleigh, or somewhere in that area, if I remember rightly. Then there were also some 40 electric coupes built and sold. The chap who showed the blue one off at Exeter a couple of years ago apparently has two. I haven't heard of anyone else who owns one, though something must have happened to the other 38...

If you want more clues, it might be good to pm me.
Regards, David

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”