Got my donor car! MR2 mk2 G Limited

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
Beemer

Re: Got my donor car! MR2 mk2 G Limited

Postby Beemer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Hey thanks for that buddy. I possess a BMW R1100GS so know of shaft drive rears. Wouldn't use one of those because shafts are more draggy. The offset is very different from the Honda VFR too. BMW 800 twins etc. are all single sided swinging arm with a big belt drive.
I'm into 14" rims all round which will preclude the vfr's rolling gear I'm afraid.. but its a good call!

Belt drives. Are they expensive? Cedric Lynch uses a 20mm belt at I think around 3.5:1 which seems very cheap indeed, around £8 to replace. The torque of our motors are higher than the "ice" equivalent but suitably set at the controller, tend not to deliver shock loads.

Here's some 8mm pitch belts:
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/8m_Section ... ch_-1222-c

And some suitable pulleys:
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/8M_Section ... mm_-1804-c

Remember, these don't wear down so you can spend a little more. The belts don't make horrible noises nor require constant maintenance.

On the down side of things the EU are expanding their strangle hold on our freedoms with a raft of new laws. Trikes used to be a no-mans land of type approval. We have to get our fingers out. The MAG (Motorcycle action Group) have held a huge protest about these bigotted, lies of a bill. MEP's have joined in the cause but the political hierarchy are the EU's butt boys and guard dogs. It's going to be tough.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2011-26

And the actual d(r)aft set of proposals:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2011-26

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:00 pm

8mm pitch?

My Harley was running on a 14mm pitch belt.

If you can find someone who can cnc a belt pulley that would be good. I can't fit a belt pulley on mine as the working diameter for the rear would be too big to clear the swing arm. It needs to be big so that the driving pulley isn't too small for the power transmitted.

I would like a belt drive so I have made as much allowance as I can to retro fit one in the future.

The link for the DfT seems broken as I can't see the proposal document. I have read about it elsewehre though.

If it is allowed through then I guess I will have to build to SVA car requirements.

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi stranger! lol
The reality with bike manufacturers and pulley sizes depends on a few factors.
Shock loads, fool proofing, unobtainium (to buy through them only) and what looks good.

Cedrics agni powered bike uses a 20mm belt. The primary drive belts fitted to choppers are like 3" wide for no good reason because the engine is at lowest end of the torque farm.

You can order belts of any pitch/width/torque rating and more pulleys than you can shake a stick at.

can always check your local industrial supplies or places like "bearingboys" which (if I remember correctly) have an online calculator program for sizes and torques to select the right belt/pulley combinations.

For my trike I've got the ebay bits but was let down on all sides by my bank and the importer for the motor/controller/pedal so quite literally missed the boat. Still not got the old finger out for the back end.. Should go visit Mr. Scrappie. :|

Are you any better?

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Thought I should put this in for thoughts sake. I'm not saying they have made this car drivable via this motor but its 10Kw continuous, 20Kw peak (80Nm). At 8" diameter, this must be a 20mm belt width, max.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”